1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

weight of a squier vintage modified jazz?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Onalargerock, Mar 7, 2010.

1. just wondered how much these beauties with a maple body weight?

2. s4001

s4001

Feb 2, 2009
    Mine is pretty light, but I've tried some at the store which were anchors on chunky necks. Quick answer is 'try before you buy.' Apparently the production changes around.

3. Mine weighs around 10 lb. I've never found any of them to be light of the ones I've tried in shops.

Roger

4. AgIdoc

AgIdoc

Nov 17, 2008
    Huntsville, TX
    oh yeah heavy. 10 lbs is about right

5. casualmadness

casualmadness Man About Town

Dec 15, 2005
    Mine is pretty heavy. But with a good strap, I don't really notice it when gigging.

6. so 10 lbs just one pound up from average fender jazz
    thanks for the info

7. I have other Jazzes, and would agree with that. The VM is the heaviest Jazz I have.

Roger

8. It feels more chunky than an MIA but not has heavy as a miller sig.

9. Mazatleco17

Mazatleco17

Mar 27, 2008
    about 10 to 11 lbs.

10. I know this is an old thread, but thought I would add to it with some detail.

My VM J bass is a 2012 with the maple body (it's a lefty that I've converted to righty), and it had the thick butterscotch coating ("finish"). I found it really heavy. I am used to my P bass, which weighs 8.4 pounds. While I did not weigh it before I "fixed" it, you can see that the available ones on Sweetwater are all around 10.5 lbs.

Seemed to me that there was at least a pound of plastic covering the body...

Long story short, I removed all of that coating from the Squier VM jazz. Heat gun and scraper and muscle.

With 50-105 strings, it now barely tips the scale at 9.0 pounds (4106 grams).

11. GnarwhalNick

GnarwhalNick

Jan 18, 2011
    I've never weighed my basses, but what constitutes a "heavy" or a "light" bass?

12. I guess it depends. I have no problems with basses weighing 10-12 lbs. Others won't go over 8 lbs. Just from reading various threads it seems that 9 lbs is the pretty common line. Just my observations.

13. UNICORN BASS

UNICORN BASS

Feb 10, 2016
    Michigan USA
    A heavy bass sucks to play, a light bass, well you get the picture. Exceptions are a Peavey T40, i just grin and bear it.:)

14. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 28, 2020