1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Weird Bass Problem

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by jerk001, Mar 7, 2010.

1. jerk001

jerk001

Mar 7, 2010
    :help::help::help::help::help::help::help::help::help::help::help:

Hey guys, My Ibanez Bass is acting quite strange here are the problems

1 a Loud oscillating clickin sound(similar to the sound when you connect the bass to the amp and switch it on...but continuously)
    independent of string picking and continues even after the strings stop vibrating

2 further coupled with a high pitched screeching sound, the output quality has deteriorated, but i can still hear the bass in the background.

3 the issue disappears the next day until
    after playing for a while when i switch it off to take a break, and remaining throughout, occasionally stoppin and starting again.

i have tried 3 amps with the same result, so its definitely not a loose connection or bad amp

any suggestions appreciated

thanx

:help::help::help::help::help::help::help::help::help::help::help:

2. Have you checked:
    low battery?
    bad volume/tone pot?
    something loose or shorting somewhere on the EQ board?

3. M.R. Ogle

M.R. Ogle Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 5, 2004
    Mount Vernon, Illinois
    Backstage Guitar Lab owner
    +1 on the low battery. I've heard that "teapot" screeching as a 9V battery craps out in a pedal before.

4. anyone said "battery" before?

5. jerk001

jerk001

Mar 7, 2010
    Thanks all u guys, for the quick responses,,i really appreciate it

so you guys think its the batteries huh

strange cause i got them changed a couple of months ago, none the less , that,s the first thing i,m gonna check.

anyways on a average how long does a battery last?
    i play around give or take 15 hrs a week

6. BassLife77

BassLife77

Nov 13, 2009
    San Diego
    you can get a free multimeter from Harbor Freight to keep batteries in check. they have a coupon for it. I got one and it relieved a lot of my troubleshooting headaches. I also found electronic problems I didn't know I had.

7. 251

Oct 6, 2006
    Metro Boston MA
    Turn off your cell phone.

8. ehque

ehque

Jan 8, 2006
    Singapore
    15 hours a week more than enough to drain a battery over a few months. Change it and get back to us.

The standard test for 9V charge is to lick the tips. Lick enough batteries, and (over time) you'll be able to gauge with the tingle whether the battery has enough charge left to power a bass. I am seriously not kidding.

9. jerk001

jerk001

Mar 7, 2010
    the multimeter does sound like a good idea, and i did the lick test wid the battery,it did tingle ,still i couldnt gauge it.
    i,ve changed the batt.... didnt have enough time to test it tho,, but for the time being the issue does look resolved, again i cant thank all u guys enough for your inputs

now i can get bck to playin sum tomahawk, tool & nin :bassist::bassist::bassist:

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 24, 2020