1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Weird Guitar Player

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by DanikDarko, Jul 20, 2018.

1. My situation is weird but not unique as I'm pretty sure at least one or more person(s) have encountered people like this (could be a drummer, keyboard player, horn player, vocalist, percussionist and what not).

This band that I'm currently playing in has this guitar player who is rather lazy and may have an ego problem (at least in my opinion).

I say this because at the previous rehearsal I specifically asked him to level his patches (you must be thinking that patches being balanced or not is also a subjective thing. I would disagree in this situation as he is barely audible during rehearsals, as if he were trying to hide behind everyone else). As he uses analogue pedals, this requires some effort as levels change according to the dynamics of each and every song and it requires him to actively remember these settings and switch them between the set. Either that or your playing dynamics are just that good (which is obviously not the case here). This rehearsal was last Saturday.
    Fast forward to yesterday's (Thursday) rehearsal. We had some covers (specifically, 3) that we had planned to do. I made my patches and balanced them out with my other sounds (which is a combo of clean, drive, octave down, +1 and +2 octaves. not including time based effects as they don't actively affect your gain structure unless you want them to. just my opinion, you may disagree). Not only were his patches not balanced, he was simply struggling to remember his parts. To top it off, he was rather aggressive (borderline yelling) in his responses to me pointing out his mistakes. So much so that the vocalist later told me that she would have walked out of the room had I not kept calm, laughed it off in that moment and moved on to the next song instead.

I completely understand that every week in a musicians' life is unscripted (I'm on the same boat, LOL) but, if something like this goes on for too long, you know that something is wrong in the equation. He does teach around the city to make ends meet and claimed to have a rather busy week but I find it hard to believe him on account of the previous night (that the vocalist shared with me) where he played a gig with the vocalist and another person as a trio and left the venue at 2 in the night when he could've easily left at 11 (since that is the time the vocalist left) and could've done at least some homework. Further, in the group chats, Mr You-Know-Who specifically said, "They are just covers." Can't say that I'm a fan of that kind of an outlook.

Now, a little more context.

The band is not "mine". A girl fronts it and is the primary source of all the financial capital because its her music (meaning she writes the lyrics and the melodies and a basic chart and then brings it to us and we have complete freedom to modify it for the better. again, something that is rather subjective).
    I'm not the band leader either but I value her time and investment and I genuinely like the music which helps me be motivated and actively think about it. She "depends" on my judgement and I try to do my best.
    Also, this band has an "indie" sound. What comprises this specific sound is, again, subjective but I think it focuses on vocals, guitars and drums/grooves.

The issue with the guitar player started a couple of months back when we hit the studio to record an EP of this music. He was unprepared is an understatement; forget patches, he struggled to track his own parts with a click track. We gave him the benefit of the doubt and tried tracking him with the recorded drums and bass tracks without (and later with) the click. This exercise cost us 4 hours of precious studio time.
    The producer also felt that some songs needed more guitar parts and this guy failed to come up with anything that the former liked. Since I had done tracking my parts, I thought I'd help out and I sat down with a guitar, some pedals and an amp in a corner of the studio and started making parts. To my surprise, the producer really liked them and I ended up tracking them and some acoustic guitar parts as well. Since that moment onwards, rehearsals have been unpleasant to say the least.

Having re-read the entire thing to check for errors, I realise that this is a rant.
    I would like to say that I have nothing against this person but I clearly do.

Is he irresponsible? Maybe
    Does he lack motivation? Maybe
    Is he genuinely busy? Maybe
    Does he not care? Maybe

Answers to all these questions and more elude me and I turn to you good folks for a solution. I would like to be an adult and just talk to him and solve whatever issue there might be (I did try this once before but it did not yield any positive outcome) but, at this point of time, I feel he will be rather defensive if I point out his mistakes and try to talk about them.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2018
    Elusive1 likes this.
  2. TWolf

TWolf

Jan 20, 2011
    The Deep South
    Firstly it sounds as though he may be too busy for the commitment, but also just under-motivated given his statement about covers not being his thing. Probably a combination of both. Secondly, since the main issues started after the recording session, it sounds like he may be displaying some insecurities directed toward you if you were able to sit down and do his parts and do them better.
    You may can sit down over coffee or a beer and have an adult conversation to work it out, but mostly these things don't end well in my experience.
    (PS. Also consider losing the yellow font- very hard to read :))

mcnach, Mvilmany and Misfit Wookiee like this.
  3. On a side note...writing all your parenthetical lines in yellow makes them almost impossible to read. Not sure why it's that way in your post.

4. MonetBass

MonetBass ♪ Just listen ♫ Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2006
    Tulsa, OK
    It sounds like this guitarist is not a good fit for the band. Talk to the bandleader and see if she agrees with your opinion.

And yes, please ditch the yellow font. I had to highlight those sections to read them.

Mvilmany likes this.
  5. oldrocker

oldrocker Supporting Member

Feb 13, 2005
    Long Island, NY
    DNR - weird yellow font color

gebass6, design, FugaziBomb and 7 others like this.
  6. GBBSbassist

GBBSbassist I actually play more guitar... Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2010
    Chicago
    I've used the dark theme so long that I almost forget sometimes that he default is a white background. I can see why the yellow would be obnoxious.

viper4000 and gebass6 like this.
  7. BigBasserino

BigBasserino

Apr 30, 2017
    I can see why with so many effects that a guitarist could lose interest in fixing their sound every single song (your claim). It's not as easy as cranking up to 11, throwing a chorus overdrive delay phaser mix and wanking away.

If he's a teacher, he's failed at the fact that rather than blame the people that can play or the music (given his shouting), he should be blaming himself.

You've effectively shown him he can be replaced given you stepped in in the studio. Effects are nice, but most are a mask to make yourself think you sound more complex.

From your description it doesn't sound like he cares to clarify and he sounds like he's waiting to be put out of his misery. I don't see why him leaving would be devastating.

Elusive1 likes this.
  8. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

I'm not seeing "weird." Just "mediocre." Which is very common, not weird at all. I'm a mediocre guitarist too!

JRA, mcnach and Quinn Roberts like this.
  9. gln1955

gln1955 Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2014
    Ohio, USA
    There you go. I would just move on to a guitarist who is more committed and mature.

10. Yellow on white. Weird Original Post.

Pendulous, Mvilmany, Chrisk-K and 2 others like this.
  11. LUpton

LUpton Supporting Member

Oct 22, 2012
    Tampa, FL
    Probably too old for this sh--
    Weird guitar player? I didn't think there was any other kind...

Slater likes this.
  12. I don't know which is worse, the kidtarist that is constantly tweaking and saving patches in a multieffect unit (and can never remember which one to use) or the one who is constantly tweaking stomp boxes and amp settimgs and never writes anything down.

Elusive1 likes this.
  13. G19Tony

G19Tony

Apr 27, 2018
    Las Vegas, NV
    Unable to read your post.

14. Chango Malo

Chango Malo

Apr 8, 2017
    org post was tough to read. between the yellow sidebars and general style I gave up halfway through.
    I'll just say that a dancefloor full of pedals and 1000 different "tonz" doesn't make you a great guitar player, it just makes you a wanker. Ohhh, you have EVERY amp ever made in your modeling rig? cool story, bro. How about you just play one of 'em musically? Some people's kids.

Oh yeah, paying for studio time and coming in unprepared is an unforgivable sin.

Now get offa my lawn

Last edited: Jul 20, 2018
  15. Weird guitar player. Oxymoron.

JRA and Killed_by_Death like this.
  16. Maynjo

Maynjo Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2014
    Jacksonville, NC
    MY EYESS!!!

gebass6, Mvilmany and Misfit Wookiee like this.
  17. Maynjo

Maynjo Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2014
    Jacksonville, NC
    Lmao. I gave up on the first yellow quote, you're a good man.

gebass6 likes this.
  18. Chrisk-K

Chrisk-K

Jan 20, 2010
    Maryland, USA
    Writing in yellow on white is very weird.

Mvilmany likes this.
  19. Nev375

Nev375

Nov 2, 2010
    Missouri
    Two points:

Point one: When you point out faults in other people it is quite normal for them to react in an emotionally negative manner. To get away with blunt criticism you need to be in a position of superiority (i.e. parent, coach, policeman, professor, drill sergeant, etc...) You cannot do this as a peer and expect a calm evaluation of your analysis. People are not rational, especially musicians.

Point two: You. Cannot. Fix. Other. People. They have to want to fix themselves.

Elusive1 and FugaziBomb like this.
  20. Alik

Alik

Apr 13, 2013
    El Paso, TX
    2018-07-20 20.49.48.jpg

Attached Files:

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Dec 2, 2020