1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

weird problem, different tune on neck?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bommer, Sep 16, 2010.

1. bommer

bommer

May 13, 2009
    Canada, Eh!
    on my bass, i can tune all the strings and it sounds fine,

BUT

as you get to the 12th fret and move more toward the pickups, the strings seem to be a bit out of tune.

what would be the reasoning for this?

2. Intonation is out, in need of a setup. Nothing earth-shattering, though,

3. JoshuaTSP

JoshuaTSP

Sep 26, 2008
    You just need to adjust the bridge saddles to compensate.

if it's sharp, move the saddle closer to the tail, and flat....move the saddle towards the headstock.

4. bommer

bommer

May 13, 2009
    Canada, Eh!
    well, i was planning on bringing my bass in for a tune-up soon, cause i did buy it used and i don't know how long its been since it has one.

so if i bring the bass in for a tune up, they should fix the intonation during that?

5. JoshuaTSP

JoshuaTSP

Sep 26, 2008
    if you research a little and follow a set up guide.....you should be able to do it yourself.

6. kjpollo

kjpollo

Mar 17, 2008
    CT
    taking your title literally-the smarta$$ response would be- what? are you playing Smoke on the Water with your right hand but Strawberry Fields Forever is coming from the neck?

:bag::D:ninja:

7. bommer

bommer

May 13, 2009
    Canada, Eh!
    ahh alright thanks.

but i think im gonna let a store do it, its need cleaning as well, so ill let them have the hassle :p

8. bommer

bommer

May 13, 2009
    Canada, Eh!
    hahahaha

9. Matt-77

Matt-77

Jun 15, 2007
    Birmingham Uk
    Have a go yourself it's not that bad of a job to do and save some pennies. Just have a read up on the internet and there must be some vids on the youtube. Make sure you have a good tuner I have just done a couple of my ebay guitars and it didn't take too long to do.

10. JoshuaTSP

JoshuaTSP

Sep 26, 2008
    Yep, learn now, and you'll be able to set up all of your future TB fueled purchases.

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 9, 2021