Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Well known bassist as friends

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by pyrohr, Aug 28, 2004.

1. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Once again it's that time of the year when all my old buddies get together. And yes Tom Barney (Steeley Dan) came by! We spent all day bugging out and just shooting the gip. He just got home from working with Whitney Houston for her up and coming album. To all you Whitney Houston fans Tom has ashured (sp) me she is in great shape and great health (thank God). here are some pics!

2. demolition

demolition Guest

Jul 5, 2003
    Conn.
  3. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Thanks Brad, I fixed it :bassist:

4. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Thats great man, I hope you had a good reunion of sorts.

I have read in one of your posts that you grew up with Marcus Miller as well, no Marcus at this get together? Bummer.

5. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Marcus lives on the west coast. Tom and I grew up as kids In Brooklyn New York, When I moved to Jamaica Queens in 1971 I then met Marcus Miller who at that time was attending music and art h.s. He also was playing in a funk band called "unique creation" in which I later married the sax players sister. Tom Barney also moved out to Rochdale village where Marcus was from and met him after I did. He told me yesterday they both would practice together. Both later on became bassist for "Saturday Night Live". Steeley Dan is not touring now so he is on Broadway doin his regular gig "Lion King" He is also endorsing Eden and Aguilar amps as well as Dean Markey strings! i told him im coming shopping at his house! He laughed!

6. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS

Cool story man. :D

When you go "shopping" grab me a Aggie 212 :D

7. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Last I checked, you're demolition.

That's pretty cool. I met Walter Becker a few times at the Shop but I don't think he know me if I passed him by in the streets. That's cool.

8. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Very Cool, Tom is usually in an ESP ad in BP the last year or so, right?

I'm glad Whitney is in good health and spirits... that lady can sing like no ones biz when she's on her game.

9. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Yep, That be him! I forgot to mention he endorses ESP Basses and has been since 1982 (I think thats what he told me).

10. demolition

demolition Guest

Jul 5, 2003
    Conn.
    I thought thread was posted by someone else,my appologies,did'nt mean nothing towards you.
    My friend/teacher is the bassist for Phil Guy(Buddy's bro.)I dont know if this qualifies,but he's an awesome bassist all the same. :hyper:

11. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Most well known bassists have restraining orders against me. :(

12. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    so do most friends.

brad cook

13. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I guess you're the cat with the 'white' goatee? Now we can place a face with the name. Oh, I don't know any famous bassists personally.

14. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I know Scott;)

15. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...there's a video somewhere of Oteil attempting to 'pants' me on a beach in Hatteras, NC.
    Geez, that was 20 years ago?!