Whammy Impressions

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Petary791, Aug 7, 2005.

1. Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Damn, this thing is digital. If you're looking for REAL harmony sounds, you won't like this. However, I do like the digital-ness of the pedal. Many people tried to shy me away from it. I tried it and loved it. I haven't purchased it yet, but it's on the GAS list. I really liked this pedal a lot. I found the down tuner to be cool. I was playing "Take the Power Back" by Rage and I would put the pedal toe up just to play the low D (dropped D song but I was playing it on a bass tuned EADG) and i'd push the pedal up to play the regular notes. Pretty fun. The Guitar Center guy described it as the pedal from Outer Space, and that's pretty true. It's fun jumping between 5ths and 6ths. But like I said, this does not sound like a true instrument. Listen to the Whammy part in the song "Disposition" by Tool to see what I mean. It has a bit of digital "warble," but I like it! :hyper:

Shoot some questions, comment, carrots... you know. :)
  2. Craggsy

May 24, 2005
    It can be very digital and I find you need some distortion in the mix as the sound is weak without.

BTW to play Disposition you need a Bass Whammy as i think its the only whammy with 5th/1oct up. Although I could be proved wrong!
  3. i know the tracking sounds kinda bad, but personally i kinda like it...
  4. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Not my bag of chips but more power to ya.
  5. Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    D'oh, oh yeah. That is one thing that the Blue Whammy has that the Red one doesn't.

And tplyons, I know what you mean. It's basically a love or hate situation. :)
  6. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Yep, I was so excited to get a chance to try one at GC, after about a half hour with it, I was quite unexcited after plugging in a Stingray, and a passive P-Bass...
  7. Secondhandloser

Mar 28, 2005
    I borrowed one, liked it by myself, but I couldn't find a practical use for it in a band situation-
  8. sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC

teh xp100 has the 5th/1 oct setting.
  9. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Many moons ago I ordered one from a "major online source". After almost an hour of tinkering, I affirmatively decided it was a toy, not a tool, and to this very day it was the only item that I have EVER returned for a refund that was not a malfunctioning item.

Like was said above, there was too much "warble" in the transposed notes to be of any use whatsoever for bass, other than noise, that is. :meh:
  10. xan

Sep 10, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    when you get it, can we have some clips mate?
  11. personally, i think it all comes down to the music that you play...i wouldn't say that it is a toy, it can be a tool just as much as a distortion pedal or a compressor if it fits the music...personally, i wouldn't use this in a rock band, because the bass usually doesn't need to do a two octave jump, or need three part harmony...but listen to a band like jacob fred jazz odyssey, and reed mathis really knows how to use the whammy...he knows how to make it sound good imo. i think its a pedal similar in necessity to something like an ebow...you either like it or you don't. ebows may not work for geddy lee or paul McCartney, but people like steve lawson and michael manring excel with it. its just a matter of application if you ask me.
  12. xan

Sep 10, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    well said.
  13. TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    Don't forget Doug Wimbish, he uses a whammy to great effect.

+2 very well said
  14. Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    If my computer stops being lame. It'll be a while til I get it.
  15. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Hmm... and I was wondering about this effect. I guess I should wait until the local GC carries them so I can fool around with one.
  16. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    I will get one eventually. They are fun and very digital sounding and they would work great in a post-rock band for playing a "lead". Or for a solo bass piece.

For metal, rock, pop, everything else I probably wouldn't have much use for one.
  17. I just got a bass whammy, And for what I play, It suits me very well. I also have a xp100, And I mostly was using the 0ct up position, But know I think I'll use both because I'd like to experiment with the Oct down positiontoo.
  18. Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Oh I forgot to mention i'd use this on guitar too. I'm working a rig that's bass and guitar friendly.
  19. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    I own one and love it.
  20. I like the one in my BP80...
    with a delay...and maybe some reverb...

i love doing big 'note hits' ...kinda like a siren...