Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What 2 get?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Dr.Death, Mar 20, 2004.

1. Dr.Death

Dr.Death

Oct 25, 2002
    Birmingham, UK
    :help:
    Hi,
    I'm in a band and need a distortion effect to add variety.
    We have been comared to Sparta and Rival Schools - i need something that isn't too 'fizzy' and won't make my jazz bass sound like some metal axe. I've seen the 'bassballs' and sans-amp DI, and was wondering if these would be suitable - or if you have any other suggestions.
    Cheers,
    x

2. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Might want to check out an Electro Harmonix Big Muff...though it may be a bit too fizzy for you. Perhaps a DOD Overdrive 250, the reissues are quite transparent. These are my two favorite overdrives and use them all the time. I say you should give them each a try if you can find them. Good luck in your ventures.

3. Jack

Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    +1 for the DOD 250, great for subtle overdrive.

4. Dr.Death

Dr.Death

Oct 25, 2002
    Birmingham, UK
    cheers guys,
    yeah it is the subtle drive i'm after an i reckom the muff might be a bit much, i'll check out the dod tho,
    thnks again

5. tat2d_13

tat2d_13

Feb 4, 2004
    Minnesota USA
    Give the Fulltone bass drive a whirl!

6. Dr.Death

Dr.Death

Oct 25, 2002
    Birmingham, UK
    Will do..

I've heard about the electro-harmonix bass balls - would this be suitable?????
    :confused:

7. I never tried bass-balls...

But i would also recommend some sort of overdrive.

8. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    The Bassballs in an envelope follower that sounds pretty good on bass, not very useful as far as rock. The distortion sounds very digital and is quite subpar. Try it if you want, but no guaruntees you'll like it.

9. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001

I could not disagree more. The distortion sounds digital? :confused:

Anyway- it is an envelope type thing and probably not what you want.

the sans amp would fit the bill.

10. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    To me the distortion circuit on the Bassballs sounds like it's clipping more than it should, pretty common on crappy digital distortion circuits. It's not a smooth tone.