1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What amp setup for both EBG and EUB?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ElBajista, Nov 21, 2006.

1. ElBajista

ElBajista

Dec 13, 2005
    Sebring, FL
    *X-posted to the DB Amp forums*

I'm looking for suggestions for heads and cabs (or combos!) that can accurately produce a Double Bass sound as well as a solid, warm non-scooped Bass Guitar tone. No sweat, right?:smug:

My Gear:
    I hope to someday soon get my hands on a Palatino EUB, and I currently play a pair of SX Jazzes, a 4-banger with Model J's and TI flats and a 5 string fretless. The 4 string is my main player.

My Gig:
    I mainly play in a Church situation, along with an acoustic guitar, grand piano, 15 person choir in a 900 seat Church. I don't need tons of wattage or volume, since I've managed nicely with my 100W B100R.

*side note: Anyone play DB or EUB with a B100R? Seems like it would be too middy for an accurate DB tone, but what do I know?*

My Tone:
    For EBG I love a warm, meaty, punchy tone with warm and clear but not clanky highs.

For EUB I just want it to sound like the quintessential DB tone, or as close to it as I can get with the Palatino. I see myself playing mostly with a bow (for the more traditional Baroque-style hymns). I've never played DB before, so I'll be starting completely fresh. (Any tips regarding EQing and whatnot would be greatly appreciated!)

Whatever I choose, I'm definitely going to buy used.

Fire Away!

2. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    My advice is to stick with your current rig. Concentrate on your arco technique and your intonation. Use your ears to tweak the tone of what you have to the max before going to a new rig. You will have a much better idea of what YOU need then. :cool:

IMHO, good playing with less than perfect tone trumps weak playing with gorgeous tone that exposes all flaws. :ninja:

Most rigs do a less than ideal job with arco sound....:bag:
    Consider using a really good microphone....oops, I was assuming a double bass....I don't know what a Palatino is...can you explain or post a good link?

If your EUB has a piezo pick-up, consider a tech21 sansamp ParaDI. I use one with my upright. I can get a good sound from my high impedence piezo pup (Gage Realist), including pretty OK arco. I also use that preamp with an Eminence upright that is on loan from a regular broadcast gig I do (but not arco). Hope this helps...send more info about your pickup, your instrument, and your PA. :D :D :D

3. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005

4. For the tone you are describing for EB, and also for use with EUB, some combination of an AI head and Acme cabs might be just the ticket.... full, fat, with upper mid and treble definition, but no classic 'tweeter sizzle'. And for EUB, the warm, fat tone really seems to move piezo equiped semiacoustic instruments more into a legitimate acoustic tone.

The Acme cabs are lightweight and not too expensive. They can be purchased direct from Andy at the Acme site. They are quite inefficient, so they need lots of power... so correct impedance choices are key.

The AI heads come in two channel versions, making using two instruments a breeze.

For very small, modular rig at, low volume:

Two Acme 110's (8ohm) and a two channel Clarus

For a relatively small rig that can be expanded later onw

One 210 (8ohm) with a two channel Focus

Etc., etc.

Nice stuff for what it seems you are looking for IMO.

5. ElBajista

ElBajista

Dec 13, 2005
    Sebring, FL
    Heh, Good thinking! Thanks for the tip!

There's currently a megathread going in the EUB section of the DB side of Talkbass. It's basically a budget, chinese-made EUB. Not the greatest, but all I can afford at this time.

The Palatino comes with a piezo pickup, but some have swapped the stock one out for a replacement, or left the stock alone and attached an external piezo, IIRC. I know that a lot of people

6. ElBajista

ElBajista

Dec 13, 2005
    Sebring, FL
    Interesting! I'll have to keep that in mind. Thanks!

7. I also used to play in Church, & for a while my rig was a CXC-110(WT-330+1x10 combo)w/an additional CX-110 cab. The best thing about this setup for me was the tone- great for my 3/4 carved DB, & very nice w/BGs too. There were a couple of guys selling WT-330s earlier this morning & one(vic, IIRC)had a CX-110 for sale as well. Awesome tone, portability & likely plenty of power for your gig. Now I have a WT-400+Bag End 1x15 for doubling. A tad more power, a tube in the pre & the option of taking the head home from the practice space(the cincher for me when I bought it :D ).