1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by rakov, May 12, 2010.

1. Marginal Tom

Marginal Tom

Apr 28, 2010
    O'Fallon, IL
    It would help to know how you plan to use the amp, your musical style and your budget.

2. becker4567

becker4567

Jul 26, 2008
    There's alot of difference there mate. Your going from 100w to 300w. What exactly do you plan to do with it? Practice (100w is plenty) or gig (go for the biggest one you can afford). Figure out what your needs are then we can help a little bit better.

3. rakov

rakov

Mar 1, 2010
    I want the amp for some gigs and rehersal. My budget is 350 euros, and I play in a trash/progressive metal band.

4. becker4567

becker4567

Jul 26, 2008
    IMHO, go for the most amps you can afford, and that would be the Behringer, and for a thrash band, that may be a bit small, so don't overpower it and blow a speaker. The nice thing about the Behringer is that it is small enough to drag around with you and not break your back. Have you looked at used stuff?

5. rakov

rakov

Mar 1, 2010
    Has anyone ever played that ashdown?

6. My friend owns the ashdown and I've used it many times. It sounded great at first, but after about a year of light use it sounded horribly muddy (I don't know what broke, but something did!) and the DI now just produces a steady 50hz hum, instead of a bass signal.

Out of those 4 I wouldn't touch the Behringer with a 10ft pole, (out of personal experience, I'm not flaming!), I wouldn't reccomend that particular Ashdown, so that leaves the SWR or the Warwick.

I love the sound of Warwick amps, and I gig regularly with a 150w amp (it's plenty loud!). So my money's on the Warwick, as you'll probably get the best tone and flexibility with the lowest price.

EDIT: IIRC Behringer rate the power of their amps by peak wattage, not RMS. This means that the Ultrabass you've linked to will be closer to 150w RMS, therefore a similar volume to the Warwick.

7. JayAmel

JayAmel Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Carcassonne, France
    In the same budget (or so), I used to own an Ampeg BA115. Rated at 100W RMS, but really LOUD. And nice sound. Sold mine in near mint condition for 250 € last September. I suggest you give them a try.

8. Buy used.

With that budget you could get a Peavey half stack. I've seen setups with a nitrobass amp (450 watts at 2 ohms) with a 210 (4 ohms) and 115 (4 ohms) going for under £200.

9. harry182

harry182

Nov 28, 2009
    England
    ^^^ thats good advice

i was looking at amps again yesterday and its silly how much cheeper you can get some just because theyve been used!

i have a 150 watt marshall! Its spot on for me atm. Can use it in practice, And can use it at gigs as they chuck a DI in it!

cant see going bigger being a bad thing though ;)

10. rakov

rakov

Mar 1, 2010
    I can also get an ampeg ba115 for 200 euros used

11. The problem with a combo is if you want to upgrade, you need to replace the whole thing. With seperates you can play about with different cabs or change amp head or whatnot.

Also, with a lot of gigs a cab is often provided so it's easy enough just to bring an amp head along.

12. rakov

rakov

Mar 1, 2010
    Does this ampeg handles small/medium gigs?

13. rakov

rakov

Mar 1, 2010
    Does the ampeg handle it?

14. How do you define small/medium gigs?

If you have PA support, it'll probably. But I use an SVT & 810 for small/medium gigs. So I wouldnt risk a 115 combo.

15. rakov

rakov

Mar 1, 2010
    I can always conecto to the voice P.A.

16. 4-string

4-string

Jul 23, 2006
    Norway
    I own the Ashdown combo. Not a bad sounding amp, but I'm going to sell it, mainly because it is relatively heavy.

It sounds good with some basses, with others I just can't dial out the middy, boxy sound. All in all, a good amp for the money, but nothing too exciting.

I will probably end up with a GK MB210 combo. Great price point, and less than half the weight. At this price point, I'd rather get the MB115. About the same power, half the weight, plus it has a tweeter which the Ashdown lacks (which might be a good or a bad thing).