What are albums to get for Michael Moore

Discussion in 'Bassists [DB]' started by ABlueJazzBassist, Jul 25, 2013.

1. ABlueJazzBassist

ABlueJazzBassist "Always play beautifully."

Dec 26, 2012
    I apologize if this is supposed to be in a different section, I visit bassists more than recordings and so that was the tie breaker. Anyways, I've been on a bit of a spending spree and bought the duo album between Red and Hank, and I've had one Michael Moore duo album with Gene Bertoncini for a couple months and loved it, but he's honestly kind of hard to get information on. Anyways, I'd appreciate any recommendations.

Keith Rawlings likes this.
  2. Richard Whitema

Richard Whitema

Jul 30, 2004
    Toronto
    Michael Moore is featured well on a John Bunch piano trio record with ex-Basie drummer Butch Miles. The CD is called something like "Songs of World War Two " .

MLysh likes this.
  3. msw

msw

Aug 21, 2003
    Massachusetts
    Michael has two recordings out under his own name on Arbors records. He has an excellent duo recording with Bill Charlap on the Concord label. There are also two great volumes from the seventies of a live date with Bob Brookmeyer recorded live at Sandy's in Beverly MA.
    That quartet had Joe LaBarbara and Jack Wilkins. These are some of my favorites. There are a lot more great ones.

4. ABlueJazzBassist

Dec 26, 2012
    Thanks guys!

5. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    Augusta GA
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Sam Sherry likes this.
  6. I also love the duos with Rufus Reid. Moore is one of the greatest.

7. ABlueJazzBassist

Dec 26, 2012
    Thanks guys, and I'll check out the Rufus Reid duets, he's awesome too.

8. bassicallyjakob

bassicallyjakob

Aug 24, 2013
    Michael Moore is also a really accomplished pianist! He just came out with a live album featuring Rick Crane on bass and Joe Corsello on drums (he played with Sonny Rollins, Marian McPartland, and Benny Goodman to name a few). If you buy it, listen to it for the drums and piano. Michael and Joe are good friends of mine and never cease to amaze me with their chemistry on the "playing field", so to speak. :)

9. DC Bass

DC Bass Supporting Member

Mar 28, 2010
    Washington DC
    Check out "Two In Time" by Michael and Gene Bertoncini. Amazing!

Joe

BobDeRosa and matthewbrown like this.
  10. jrj_ai

jrj_ai

Oct 17, 2005
    Don't forget the Bill Evans album "Getting Sentimental" which is a live performance at the Vanguard with Michael.

Sam Sherry likes this.
  11. gaz jazz

gaz jazz

Oct 13, 2005
    barcelona spain
    Look for the Michael Moore Trio plays Gershwin recorded in London,England early nineties with two wonderful musicians Brian Lemon on Piano and Dave Cliff on Guitar small record label from the UK beautiful interplay,incredible arco,especially on the verses.Michael is a long time favorite of mine and a family friend for more than 20 years.I pretty much have everything he's recorded from James Brown to Jobim and everything in between.I'm sure everyone on TalkBass that knows Michael personally,will agree he is a very special person with a wonderful sense of humour.The term Artist definetly applies to him.

Paul New and dhm like this.
  12. MR PC

MR PC Inactive

Dec 1, 2007
    Hey Craig, listen a lot and steal as many licks as possible. Just know it's highly unlikely that you will ever come close to MM's level, unless you can be content swinging your ass off without leaving first position all year.

Few can play with MM's power in TP, and even fewer of those will play that way just because they can. :)

13. dylanjohnson

dylanjohnson Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2002
    Morro Bay, CA
    Anyone know of anything new from Michael Moore? I haven't seen much from him since the Brubeck gig. Thanks for the tip for the piano trio album! Dig this great interview with him from the late 90's. He toured with James Brown! I remember seeing him on credits of JB albums, and assumed it was another Michael Moore. Wild!

IamGroot likes this.
  14. Jeff Bonny

Jeff Bonny

Nov 20, 2000
    Should still be able to get that one directly from Rufus Reid's website. Mine came autographed by Rufus with a very nice thank you note from his wife Doris.

My favorite Moore recording is probably Bridges with Gene Bertoncini. Last I checked it still hadn't been released digitally but the vinyl is worth looking for.

dhm likes this.
  15. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    Augusta GA
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    I'm surprised no one mentioned the LIVE AT MAYBECK duo recording with Bill Mays, that's got some beautiful playing, including arch, on it.

16. Sam Sherry

Sam Sherry Inadvertent Microtonalist Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2001
    Portland, ME
    Euphonic Audio "Player"
    Michael and Bob Cranshaw play perfectly on this one too, although it's overproduced and it's not a 'bass feature' record:

Mike said that the rhythm & vocal sessions were incredible but then came the sweetener . . .

Max George likes this.
  17. dylanjohnson

dylanjohnson Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2002
    Morro Bay, CA
    Ed, are you sure you aren't talking about the one with Charlap? I can't find anything but Bill Mays with Ed Bickert at Maybeck.

18. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    Augusta GA
    You're right, I think I was conflating that rekkid with some appearances here in the city by Michael and Bill Mays. Oh well.

Max George likes this.
  19. Phil Rowan

Phil Rowan Supporting Member

Mar 2, 2005
    Brooklyn, NY
    There’s a great Marian McPartland duo album with Michael Moore, where they play the music of Alec Wilder. Fantastic tunes as well as playing.

gaz jazz likes this.
  20. IamGroot

IamGroot

Jan 18, 2018
    One of tbe finest arco jazz players alive and a hecl of a nice guy.

gaz jazz likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 24, 2021