1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What bass do I have?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by -juliet-, Mar 19, 2009.

1. I bought my bass this summer in some secondhand shop (not specified in instruments or something, it was just coincidence that there was a bass), but I have no idea what it is... Does someone know what it is? There is no information on it at all, on nothing...
    DSCN8404-1. DSCN8967.

2. mynan

mynan

Nov 7, 2007
    Grand Haven, MI
    I have no idea, but it looks like a really slick bass...:D

3. buzzguy

buzzguy

Mar 8, 2009
    Winnipeg
    Wow...gotta love the vintage "styling"!
    Not exactly sure what you have, but it's definitely "unique"! My guess is imported, and from the late 70's. Just a guess.

4. abarson

abarson

Nov 6, 2003
    Santa Cruz
    It's a rare Fender Lubecaster. Great find!

5. honestjohnny

honestjohnny

Nov 24, 2006
    No idea, but it sure is awesome!

6. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    It's a Japanese made something-or-the-other. I'm pretty sure that I have the single pick up version of the same bass. Well...sorta..it's in pieces at the moment but it's a neat little bass.

7. Looks like some kind of variant on the Fender/Squier Mustang/Bronco/Musicmaster family of short-scale basses. Is it a short scale? I'm having a hard time telling from the pics.

8. b_carville

b_carville

Jun 26, 2008
    I think it's early to mid 70's Japanese made.

It looks very similar to an Ampeg "Big Stud" model. The pickups,scratchplate,control panel,knobs & bridge look almost identical. The pickups were placed differently(middle/bridge) & there was a different headstock on the Big Stud.I'd wager that the same factory in Japan that built for Ampeg built that.

I don't know what the name of that company is though.

Very cool!

9. mpm32

mpm32

Jan 23, 2009
    Not too sure but it may be a model WD-40. ;)

10. I measured it, but since I have to calculate it from cm to inches, I'm not totally sure, it is about 30" anyway.
    And there is no Fender on it or anything.
    Someone else said it might be sakai or kawai, a Japanese fender P-bass immitation.

11. b_carville

b_carville

Jun 26, 2008
    I found an old Talkbass forum post about the Ampeg Big Stud.There's a photo of one & you can see the similarities including the toggle switch.

Someone posted that the Big Stud was made by Tokai.It's possible that your bass is an early Tokai.

12. Godbody

Godbody

May 27, 2008
    Whatever it is, I want to own it!

13. Fetusyolk

Fetusyolk

Aug 7, 2008
    i don't know what it is, but i'd have bought it too ;)

14. sean.1986

sean.1986

Feb 24, 2009
    Essex, England
    Does the arrow with wd-40 written on it mean the stock strings have a propensity to rust?

;)

15. Hugh9191

Hugh9191

Feb 20, 2009
    I like it!

16. yeah, now you say so I can see the similarities too, there is some black pick-guard-like thing arount the pups though...
    But there is no brand on mine at all, except of WD-40... Neither is there a brand under the sticker on the headstock...
    Unfortunately the pups were dead, so there are guitar-pups in it now: It sounds great, but it's not totally original anymore now, although I did keep the elemants and the caps... Some day I'll try and kinda repair them and place them back :)