What can I get for around $500?

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Steve Killingsworth, Jul 14, 2004.

1. I am preparing to take the plunge into amplification. I have settled on the Bass Max pickup but am uncertain with regards to an amp. I am in the process of selling my acoustic bass guitar and little peavy microbass amp which I expect to net somewhere in the neighborhood of $5-600. Whatever this sale brings will comprise my new amp budget.

What are some recommendations in this price range? I have read dozens of threads and researched numerous sites on the web but need some personal input.
  2. Marc Piane

Marc Piane

Jun 14, 2004
    I use the SWR Workingman's 10 and like it. I think it goes for less than $500.
  3. songdog

Oct 9, 2003
    At 39 lbs. it will handle most medium size rooms with an acoustic bass. I have a Christopher with a carved top and an Underwood and it is enough to tame a metal drummer. I got mine from Musicians Friend as a bleem for @ 700. Later Gator
  4. Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI
    I have a Hartke 4000 for $300....plenty of tone shaping and EQ..400 watts at 4 ohms...I pushed my Avatar 410 and 212 plenty loud and clean.
  5. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    The WM12 is even better I think.
    Better bottom end and a little more power.
    I leave one at the guitarist's house for rehearsals, while keeping my EA rig at home and for gigs.
  6. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    Used AI Contras can be found in the upper end of that price range, and IMO they do upright a little more naturally than the SWR WM12 I had. The only caveat to that is that if you intend for this amp to double as an electric bass amp also, go with the WM12.
  7. I like what I have heard about the Contras (except for the $900+ part). I would definitely consider one if I could find a used one at an affordable price.