Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What can I get for around $500?

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Steve Killingsworth, Jul 14, 2004.

1. I am preparing to take the plunge into amplification. I have settled on the Bass Max pickup but am uncertain with regards to an amp. I am in the process of selling my acoustic bass guitar and little peavy microbass amp which I expect to net somewhere in the neighborhood of $5-600. Whatever this sale brings will comprise my new amp budget.

What are some recommendations in this price range? I have read dozens of threads and researched numerous sites on the web but need some personal input.

2. Marc Piane

Marc Piane

Jun 14, 2004
    Chicago
    I use the SWR Workingman's 10 and like it. I think it goes for less than $500.

3. songdog

songdog

Oct 9, 2003
    At 39 lbs. it will handle most medium size rooms with an acoustic bass. I have a Christopher with a carved top and an Underwood and it is enough to tame a metal drummer. I got mine from Musicians Friend as a bleem for @ 700. Later Gator

4. Rumzini

Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI
    I have a Hartke 4000 for $300....plenty of tone shaping and EQ..400 watts at 4 ohms...I pushed my Avatar 410 and 212 plenty loud and clean.

5. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    The WM12 is even better I think.
    Better bottom end and a little more power.
    I leave one at the guitarist's house for rehearsals, while keeping my EA rig at home and for gigs.

6. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    Used AI Contras can be found in the upper end of that price range, and IMO they do upright a little more naturally than the SWR WM12 I had. The only caveat to that is that if you intend for this amp to double as an electric bass amp also, go with the WM12.

7. I like what I have heard about the Contras (except for the $900+ part). I would definitely consider one if I could find a used one at an affordable price.