1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What cap is this?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Rockbobmel, Feb 18, 2008.

1. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

It is branded "DME 250V
    CD 104K" in a Dingwall ABI. I am trying to find a way to get more hi-mids without installing a preamp.

Thanks, Bob

2. I would guess it is a 0.1 uF, 250 volt capacitor.
    I'm also guessing it is shaped like a disc. If so, it is a ceramic capacitor.

The value comes from the 104K. The '4' is an exponent (number of zeroes).
    So, it becomes 10 x 10^4 = 100,000 pF = 0.1 uF.

3. Rockbobmel

Thanks for the explain. It's a squarish disc. What I am trying to acomplish is a more pronounced hi-mid tone. My Dingwall has the perfect tone with a pick, but my finger tone is lacking something. I have a 333K orange drop here, but what values should I experiment with?

4. tone with a pick is bright, finger plucking lacks the bright edge...so I'm guessing that if you're digging your pickin' but not your fingerin' then your cap is too big...

what's a 333k? would that be a 0.33uF??? if so...that's probably gonna deliver some real mud in the fingerstyle department...go with a 0.1uF or a 0.047uF...

OPEN IT UP :)

5. Rockbobmel

So, the higher the value, the better treble you get. 0.1 better treble than .033? or are you saying .333 is higher then 0.1

6. 333k is 33 x 10^3 = 33,000 pf = 0.033 uF.

7. Rockbobmel

If 0.1 (Existing cap) is a higher value than 0.033, I am getting better treble now than if I swapped it out?

8. a capacitor that is shunted (as in a passive tone control) will let more highs get to your signal chain if the value is lower...

think of caps as a short at high frequency and an open circuit at lower frequency (DC)...so when the value is higher, it provides more "shorting" at frequency than a lower value cap...

in short, the 0.033 will give you better treble than the 0.1