1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What do you see?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Youngspanion, Mar 22, 2006.

1. Youngspanion

Youngspanion Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2003
    Staten Island, NY
    When you practice or play with scales? What do you imagine? Paterns. Numbers. Notes?

2. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Usually nothing. Sometimes islands. Very rarely flashing lights behind my eyes.

3. GSPLBASSDC

GSPLBASSDC

Jan 25, 2005
    Des Moines, IA
    Patterns mostly...but that's 'cause I don't read. I'm trying to work on imagining the notes to better my understanding of the fretboard, though

4. Youngspanion

Youngspanion Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2003
    Staten Island, NY
    Im trying to invert them a bit so, I'm struggling. I know I should know the notes on the fret board.

5. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    The fretboard?

6. I was fourtunite/unfortunite enough to have started my musical career on piano. After learning and memorizing those notes, I switched over to guitar, then bass. This helped me in the sense that I imagine a keyboard, where the notes are layed out in the basic pattern, so I think, ok start at E, move up 7 keys (frets) and your at B. But more recently I've been finding patterns of notes, and realizing the matmatical qualities to it. In standard tuning, the 7th fret on any one string, is exactly one octave higher than the open string below it. Also, say you were on the 5th fret of the A string (D), you can move your hand up two frets and over two strings to find the 7th fret on the G string, and your one octave higher to that D note. Also if you set your hand in this pattern:

G:----------7---- (pinky/little finger)
    D:--------7------ (ring finger)
    A:------5-------- (pointer finger)
    E:---------------

Anywhere on the neck, that is the 2001 A Space Odessy Octave (1st-5th-Octave).

So you can choose to view it however you want. I prefer patterns myself, even over viewing the neck as a keyboard. Its just helpful to become fermiliar with these.

7. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    It's actually from Holst's "The Planets" originally, in case you were curious. Oh, and that's 1st-5th-octave, not a 7th.

8. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

The degrees of the scales.

9. Although I wasn't fermiliar with the piece it was originally from, I simply identifyed it as so because I know it would be fermiliar that way. And thanks for pointing out my typo with the 7th, I was aware that it was 5th, but I mis typed. I'll edit that out. Thanks.

10. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    If you like the sound of that opening, check out the whole CD of "The Planets" - it's really cinematic and enjoyable. The opening of "Mars: The Bringer of War" is as intense as anything you'll hear.

11. Thanks. I'll be sure to check it out. Also, I've wanted to complement you on your art for awhile, but never got the oppourtunity really. I was just browsing through there and reminded myself. Great work, really. Peace.

12. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut

13. I see little dancing bears. Oh, how I hate them!! I try to smash them with my fingers, but they dance around the fret board, taunting me, always one step ahead of me. I hate those bears.:spit:

Rock on
    Eric

14. GSPLBASSDC

GSPLBASSDC

Jan 25, 2005
    Des Moines, IA
    +1

I checked out your art work as well.....very nice.

15. notes and patterns