Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What do you think about Doug Wimbish?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by gbf, Apr 21, 2004.

1. I'm asking this question because on saturday I'll be seing Living Color... and since I'm going alone and have heard very little of this band I would like to know you what you guys think about Doug and the band.

Thanks

2. i'll have to second that :)

3. BustinJustin

BustinJustin banned

Sep 12, 2003
    NYC, LI too
    I just missed em in NY :crying: .

There a great bunch of guys.

Doug is a killer player! Even with an Ibanez ;) .

4. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I really dig his Tackhead and Jungle Funk stuff. Cool player and very nice guy. I met him (very briefly) @ Musikmesse Frankfurt some years ago.

5. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    I was lucky enough to be in the front row of Bad Brains/Living Colour show at the American Theater in St. Louis when they were supporting the "Stained" album. It was an AMAZING experience!!! I got smashed up against the front barricade and was scared outta' my skull by the lead singer for Bad Brains, but it was an amazing show. Living Colour were at the peak of their game back then (spring of '93), and Wimbish put on a clinic. If you REALLY want to be inspired by a modern innovator on the instrument, Wimbish will either make you put down your bass for the rest of your life or you'll end up locking yourself in your room for the next 3 months until you finally start to figure out what in the heck he's doing! :D

Have fun at the show and watch Wimbish and Calhoun like a hawk....you'll be amazed!

6. great player.
    I had a listen to Stain the other day for the first time in ages and realised how many things I learned about bass playing off that album-
    esp. the use of harmonics on "Bi" and "Nothingness".

however, i was a bit disappointed when I saw Living Colour live at The Forum in 2001- Wimbish did a solo using his whammy pedal and it seemed like he was playing the effects rather than the bass.

still, I bought their latest album Collideascope- even though it cost me £16.99 on DVD audio....

the original LC bassist Muzz Skillings was also very good indeed.
    in places on Times Up it sounds like he's switching between fingerstyle/slap and a pick.

7. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    simply amazing player. great great player.

8. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    Doug is one of the most talented,creative,versatile,innovative and original spirit to ever pick up the Bass.

A lot of what is going on in Bass Playing today as far as guitaristic,explosive,tapping,slapping,strumming,popping,flamenco,in your face playing, Doug was doing 20-25 years ago fresh.

Me and Doug just spoke last monday and he informed me that he was leaving for Brazil that coming Wensday.wow he's been in beautiful Brazil now over a week.
    Have fun at what will be a great show.

9. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    Doug is awesome....taking nothing at all away from him because he truly is amazing. HOWEVER..IMHO Muzz and Will were probably the best example of what groove is since JPJ and Bonzo.

10. lsdn

lsdn

Sep 6, 2003
    padova (italy)
    I saw the Living Colour concert near Venice last month. Doug is surely an exceptional musician and he use the effects with good choice.

11. hands5

hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    none
    I really dug his earlier stuff he did with all of the SugarHill label artist,and Mark Stewart&M.A.F.I.A. Great player

12. Electricmayhem

Electricmayhem

Dec 18, 2003
    NH
    I still don't have any LC albums yet. I'll admit I'm not sure which one to start with--do I want Doug first, or maybe Muzz? Someone persuade me!

13. Davehenning

Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles
    I got to see doug live a few years back when our bands played the same festival. He was playing with his trio JungleFunk. Man, I have never seen so many pedals in my life! But he used them in a very musical way.
    A really talented guy!

14. the dude is indeed a monster ladies and gents.
    i've got home from the show about half an hour ago and i'm still on a rush! great show, great solo, great music, great bass player. :hyper:

15. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    did he use the whammy on the solo? and did he tap?

i remeber reading in an article somewhere that he put teh whammy in one song so he could put "his stamp" on it. i thought it was funny.

16. Yes he did used it... and he did tapped it and also sang the song while doing it.
    One of the best things i've ever head live.

17. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    It's hard to say which LC bassist I like more, but they are both awesome.