1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What do you think about this setup

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by pjh2112, Apr 20, 2009.

1. pjh2112

pjh2112

Jan 28, 2009
    Georgia
    I have been looking into getting this setup. Avatar B212 and a LMII head. I will be using an active 5 string. Just a few questions. What is the wattage for the 8 ohm version of the cab. I believe the 4 ohm is 1000 watts. So is the 8 ohm version 500 watts? The LMII is rated at 500 watts at 4 ohms. Should I think about getting a more powerful head since I have the head room to spare. Is the a way to get the more than 500 watts out of the LM, such as adding a power amp. I don't really think I would need more than 500 watts, but anyway. Sorry for all of the technical questions, but I am trying to learn more and more about how amps work.

2. I believe those cabs are rated at 500 watts @ 4 or 8 Ohms. I would think it would be loud enough for rehearsal with the LMII as long as you like the sound of the MB. I don't own either but on paper they look like a good match, get the 8 Ohm cab so you can add another if you want it REALLY loud.

3. Jaco who?

Jaco who?

May 20, 2008
    The 4 or 8 ohm version will each "handle" 500 watts - which is a thermal voice coil capacity rating that's pretty meaningless since you'll reach the X-max of the Deltalite II's long before your LMII will be cranked that hard. It should still be plenty loud though. I have no idea if 500 watts will be enough for you, but I would think a 4 ohm Avatar 2x12 would be an excellent choice for that head.

4. pjh2112

pjh2112

Jan 28, 2009
    Georgia
    So using the LMII I will get equal power whether I get the 4 ohm or 8 ohm. So basically the only difference is that with an 8 ohm cab I have the option of adding another cab, whereas the 4 ohm is all I will be able to use with the LMII. But while using the LMII there is no difference how loud the different cabs will be? Correct?

Or

By using the 4 ohm cab I will running the LMII at 4 ohm, therefore giving me the full 500 watts. With one 8 ohm cab I will be running the LMII at, I think it's rated at 250 watts at 8 ohms, at 250 watts unless I add another 8 ohm cab? By adding another 8 ohm cab I would be sending 250 watts to each cab, rendering me with 500 watts. So in a nutshell one 4 ohm cab equals two 8 ohm cabs, as far as power goes. Both setups render 500 watts of power. I think I might be beginning to understand this stuff. In this case I would go with a 4 ohm cab, because I like the light load that it would be. If, that is, my assumptions are correct about ohms and stuff. gui****s would never be able to handle this much thinking, poor gui****s.

5. The second scenario is true. You can use one 4 ohm cab at 500 watts or one 8 ohm cab and the amp will give it 250 watts. Or you can run 2 8 ohm cabs and the amp will give it the full 500 watts.

To get the most out of the amp with one cabinet you should get the one 4 ohm cab. But to get the most volume you should run the two 8 ohm cabs, although I think for most people the one 4 ohm cab should suffice. I hope this helps.

FF

6. pjh2112

pjh2112

Jan 28, 2009
    Georgia
    Thanks, It definitely does help. It's just a little hard to grasp the whole same amount of power, but different volume thing. Do you get a more projected sound out of 2 cabs because there are more speakers? I probably will go with one 4 ohm though, because I like the idea of being able to carry my rig easily. Thanks a ton.

7. Yeah, exactly. You get more volume because there is more speaker area. In fact the common thought is to get more volume always increase the amount of speakers as opposed to increasing the wattage.

The one cab should sound great. Good luck.

8. pjh2112

pjh2112

Jan 28, 2009
    Georgia
    Thank you. How are twelve's with an active 5 string, I've never used 12's.

9. Wes Whitmore

Wes Whitmore

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Doubling power gets you 3dB more output. Doubling speakers gets you 3dB output. Most of the time, doubling speakers reduces the load from 8 ohm to 4 ohm, so you make double the power while double the speakers. The 2 cab version will be 3dB louder than just running one 4 ohm cab, but it's also bigger, way costlier, and you will only be able to use 250 watts into a single 8 ohm cab when you don't want the whole stack, resulting in a 6dB loss. I would get a 4ohm cab like suggested because I dont like to carry two 4x10 cabs all the time.

10. pjh2112

pjh2112

Jan 28, 2009
    Georgia
    thanks.

11. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Cali Intergalactic Mind Space - always on the edge
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    Really depends on the venues you'll be playing. Maybe one cab for rehearsal, two cabs stacked vertically for gigs.

Something to think about is a pre-amp/e.q./stereo power amp and two cabs (maybe a 4x10 and a 2x10) . Run them stereo and adjust the balance how you like it.