Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What do you think?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Worshiper, Sep 11, 2004.

1. Worshiper

Worshiper

Aug 13, 2004
    New York
    Ok, I said I was designing my new bass and I'm a man of my word. I'm just a little nervious about the balance of it. I've had bad luck with it in the past. What does everyone out there think? Will this be well balanced? the strap locks are going to be on the positions marked "here" in the picture. The bass is 34 scale, will be made out of walnut with a maple neck, possible meck through, and five string. I'll take any other suggestions as well. Thanks again.

2. Worshiper

Worshiper

Aug 13, 2004
    New York
    Sorry for those of you who do not have photoshop, I actually didn't realize I posted it in there. Here, I'll post it in microsoft paint so all can see. However, there is no neck on this image, Sorry for the inconvenience.

3. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    Generally you want the upper strap button at the 12th fret for proper balance. It looks like your upper horn isn't long enough for that.

4. Worshiper

Worshiper

Aug 13, 2004
    New York
    yes, That is for sure. but look at the thunderbird, no upper horn at all, but pretty well balanced. Can you perhaps put the lower horn at the twelfth fret?

5. Worshiper

Worshiper

Aug 13, 2004
    New York
    I'm sorry, I meant explorer.

6. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    I don't think the explorer is generally considered to be very well balanced, although probably better than the t-bird. It does however have some advantage that your design does not- the long lower points act as a counterbalance.

I'm thinking some of the guys who have done some building wil suggest that you do a full-size mockup.

7. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    As Pilot pointed out, it will not be well balanced unless you move the top horn forward. Your examples of "inverted bodies" are perfect examples of bad balance!!
    To some extent, though I fear not enough, you can help it by moving the rear strap button up and forward. But you will end up with several holes before you're done...

8. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    Another option is to use a thin piece of MDF cut roughly to the shape of the bass upper half, but a strap pin and a bit bigger. Screw this in using the traditional strap pin positions, perhaps using small Al 'L' brackets and move the strap pins around until you get the balance you like. Then remove the temporary panel, drill the holes in the body, and voila.

9. Looks like the baster child of an upside down Rickenbacker, and one of those Music Vox Space Ranger basses.

Not a bad thing, just a little akward....rock on.

Ron

10. phatcactus

phatcactus

Apr 2, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Balance schmalance, your fretting hand's gonna be holding it up anyway. At least, mine does. Go to a guitar store and strap some on with short/non-existent upper horns (Gibsons come to mind) and see if it really bothers you when you're playing.

I really really like the body shape, but I'd make the upper horn a lil'bit skinnier to visually match the bottom horn better.