Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What does everyone use to create samples?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Zirc, Feb 9, 2005.

1. Zirc

Zirc

May 13, 2001
    Los Angeles
    What does everyone use to create samples? I need to have a way to create electronic music samples or midi samples like electronic drums to go in the background of some of our songs or electronic intros.

I have sonic foundry acid, steinberg wavelab, and cubase 2.2, but I'm not sure what to do with them. I think I might need certain sounds to work with or a keyboard to create sounds I can modify.

What does everyone else use to do this? Thanks guys.

2. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    EmulatorX

http://www.emu.com/products/product.asp?maincategory=631&category=631&product=2213

edit: after reading the thread, I should clarify and say that you can record sounds into cubase (same as pootools) and "make" a sample.

You can use EmulatorX to "make" a sample.

However, it sounds like what you might want is a sequencer, in which case the inexpensive, though very limiting answer is Fruity Loops. There are many more, but as quality goes up so does price.

3. genderblind

genderblind

Oct 21, 2004
    Montreal
    Ensoniq ASR-10, fat sound, great FX, pick up one of these early 90's boats and know what the Neptunes know about creating crunchy samples..

4. FL Studio 4
    (previously frootiloops)
    that's the one i've been using for years...
    haven't tried anything else...but would like to try cubase

5. i got FL 3.4 works pretty good for me.

6. Droog

Droog

Aug 14, 2003
    PDX
    I am kinda confused about your question. There is a difference between "making" samples and "using" samples.

For making samples, generally its all cut up and manipulated in Pro Tools before it becomes an actuall sample or loop.

For sequencing, MIDI or whatever I end up using lots of stuff. Reason is nice. The Dr.Rex is cool for Rex loops, and Redrum works as an easy drum machine. Of course Acid is nice to use as well, but in a different way. I would love to use MOTU mach 5, but thats not happening anytime soon. Sample tank is pretty cool, still new to that one.

7. Another FruityLoops (FL4) user. Try combing through samples available with magazines and using something like the ZeroX Beatslicer to rearrange and mangle them. Then export the manipulated loop to Cubase. There are also some neat plugins that will mangle a loop and provide something new... I'll edit later when I get home with more info.