1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What does "organic" mean?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Joshua Pickenpaugh, Nov 11, 2018.

1. Joshua Pickenpaugh

Joshua Pickenpaugh Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2001
    ICT
    When I hear people say they want a more "organic" sound, I think they are actually meaning they want a more "acoustic" sound.

Is there something about the definition of "organic" withing the context of musical instruments / gear I'm missing?

2. You have to go to Whole Bass Market, just double-check that the bass you're buying is non-GMO, certified organic. Myself, I like a little gluten, it thickens up the sound, and that olive oil finish just smells great when you open the case.

S-Bigbottom, elgecko and Jebberz like this.
  3. I was having this conundrum when A/B comparing my Ibanez Premium SR & a G&L L-2000.
    The G&L gets there more "organically", with the flip of a switch or two.

The SR needs knob adjustments & turning the preamp on.

In the end I realized the most "organic" sound that I preferred was that of the SR with the switch in the passive position.

Shaping with a preamp can sound synthetic in comparison to the organic methods of changing up the wiring configuration.

One thing that I've decided on however is that I'm fine with boosting bass on the amp or the bass's onboard preamp, but I am not ok with boosting treble at the amp or bass.
    You can still get grind & growl from the low end when it's boosted, but boosting treble just adds hiss & finger noise.

Glenn Fricker is all about cut vs. boost, for the same reason, added noise:

67803_0_wide_ver1507776207.

Joshua Pickenpaugh likes this.
  4. I think the term "organic" is a pigment of their colorful imagination.

5. Joshua Pickenpaugh

Joshua Pickenpaugh Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2001
    ICT
    Ok, interesting point. If I understand you correctly, "Organic" can be applied to being able to change one's sound at the most basic level: flipping a passive / active switch, panning between PUs, changing hand position, etc. Such dare-I-say "additives" like a preamp, effects, and the like are not labeled as being able to change one's sound in an "organic" way, right?

Killed_by_Death likes this.
  6. Yes, the #1 complaint about the DigiTech Drop pedal is that it sounds synthetic.
    I don't notice, but I'm far from pitch perfect.

I thought I heard a difference before between the G&L & the Ibanez until I changed to new strings on the Ibanez & that brought it around.
    I do believe some preamps can sound more synthetic (less natural) than others, but I have no idea what properties cause this.

Joshua Pickenpaugh likes this.