1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What end pin is this?

Discussion in 'Ask Lynn Seaton' started by betaman, Jul 18, 2008.

1. betaman

betaman

Nov 1, 2007
    hi Lynn,

I was checking out a really great video of yours online and i noticed your end pin. my question is what kind of end pin are you using in this video? Is this a home-made one (pic attached)?

thanks!

ps: here's the video featuring Lynn's amazing playing for those interested:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRLdv2gE8LI&feature=related

Attached Files:

2. Lynn Seaton

Lynn Seaton Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2006
    Denton, TX
    Thanks for the kind words about the video! Yes, it is a home made endpin made for me by a former student in NY named Piet Koster. It is a bent Goetz endpin with a brass housing that fits around the endpin housing on the bass. It has several screws to distribute the force around the housing. It is kind of like the crow's nest on an old sailing ship that has a mast passing through it. The endpin passes through the brass fitting into the normal hole but is held in place by the screws on the brass fitting.

3. betaman

betaman

Nov 1, 2007
    thanks Lynn. im new to bent end pins really and am just starting to looking into purchasing my own.

thought I had narrowed my choice down to the egg head pin, but it seems that the creator has gone out of business. so, maybe i'll pursue something like you've got here.

a quick related question...are you a fan of the KC Strings "Peg Leg" end pin? it seems like a viable choice for those unwilling to commit to the Laborie.

4. Lynn Seaton

Lynn Seaton Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2006
    Denton, TX
    I had the KC Strings Peg Leg put on my Kay bass this summer. It is great. I had the hole redrilled to have a different angle so the endpin is more straight to the ground at the angle I like to hold the bass. The Peg Leg is very solid and stable. So yes, I am a fan of it!
    Here is a link to the KC Strings web page for the Peg Leg.
    http://www.kcstrings.com/bass-machines.html

5. betaman

betaman

Nov 1, 2007
    thanks Lynn!

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 8, 2021