1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What goes into a bass sound like this.

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by knoxy26, Mar 30, 2015.

1. knoxy26

knoxy26

Jan 17, 2007
    Hey guys,

I was just wondering what kind of production goes into to getting a bass sound like this.

I understand that there are a lot of variables that go into getting any sound: Amp, Bass, Effects, Touch of the player ect. so I guess the best question would be if you were to try and replicate something like this sound how would you go about it?

It sounds pretty heavily compressed to me with a pretty massive but tight in the low end.

Also I find it hard to get the growl sound right without there being string noise ect.

Answers thinking about both live and studio settings welcomed! ;)

Let me know what you think.

Cheers

2. Man, I don't know exactly, probably many small things all done right, nice bass, good amp, nice compressor, really good player. I did notice the engineer did a really great job of clearing space in the other instruments so it's possible to hear all that goodness.

SamJ and LiquidMidnight like this.
  3. squarewave

squarewave Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2004
    Iowa City, Iowa USA
    That is a great bass sound, and well-played. I'll have to look for more of this tribute concert online. I liked the rendition of Master Blaster.

Beyonce is very good looking. <--- OK, Captain Obvious

4. I don't know but dig the gnarly fill at 4:07. :D

5. tycobb73

tycobb73

Jul 23, 2006
    Grand Rapids MI
    a lot of behind the scenes tv production. who knows what it actually sounded like live, in person.

6. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Supporting Member

Was there a contest in the audience for the most ridiculous outfist? It's incredible what people wear to appear hip.
    I'd have said they used a synth but there are a few fills that scream electric bass.
    To get that I'd go with a low pass filter set pretty low, roughly 1kHz, fresh strings over clean pickups, jazz bass style and either massive compression or a lot of tube grain.
    It's strange not to put the bassist in front when his tone is so proheminent.

7. Clark Dark

Clark Dark

Mar 3, 2005
    earth
    Jazz bass can be seen at 3:00 but couldn't recognize the player.

8. joebar

joebar

Jan 10, 2010
    yep-that about sums up B.

9. knoxy26

knoxy26

Jan 17, 2007
    Adding the low pass is something I hadn't thought about.

I imagined they might be using something like the waves renaissance bass or something. I don't know if there is a hardware equivalent, but it always seems to phatten things up.

Also, Jazz Ad I was wondering what you mean by tube grain? Do you mean overdriving a tube amp? would that also compress the signal?

10. tbirdsp

tbirdsp

Sep 18, 2012
    Omaha, NE
    Don't know about France - but here in the USA no way is a bass player going to be out front when Beyoncé is on stage!

Clark Dark likes this.
  11. Clark Dark

Clark Dark

Mar 3, 2005
    earth
    Does anyone have an idea who the bassist was?

12. movinngruvin

movinngruvin

Feb 21, 2005
    Key West, FL
    Just found out it wasn't a bassist, it was Stevie's left hand...damn keyboardists.

13. TimmyP

TimmyP

Nov 4, 2003
    Indianapolis, IN
    A talented right hand is the first requirement. Then back off the top end to get rid of the click and clank that so many players have a lot of. A little boost in the right place to bring out the growl. Maybe a little down low.

14. Clark Dark

Clark Dark

Mar 3, 2005
    earth
    That would be quite a feat for Stevie who was sitting in the front row :roflmao: There's a bassist playing what looks like a J bass @ 3:00 into the video.

rodl2005 likes this.
  15. ThisBass

ThisBass

Aug 29, 2012
    Germany
    Which belongs to the whole sound engineering itself.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2015
  16. I doubt it it sounded like that in the fronts. As mentioned above we are no doubt hearing the TV split which is studio quality.

17. ThisBass

ThisBass

Aug 29, 2012
    Germany
    Take your ears (and only your ears) and you'll know what the truth is.

18. Dash Lashes

Dash Lashes Banned

Feb 20, 2015
    i love it when it sounds like it's completely falling apart, then they keep noodling out of it like a pro. that fill kept my attention :woot:

19. ThisBass

ThisBass

Aug 29, 2012
    Germany
    Some pro folks like Chick Corea call it "Big Notes"
    I'm pretty sure if it was Jaco nobody would bother about it. Some folks would try to find out every single note of this line if it was Jaco.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2015
  20. SamJ

SamJ Founder - Fender MIA Club

Apr 22, 2006
    PDX / SFO / HNL
    those are what you call studio musicians ... the sort of "top of the food chain" in musical talent... guys that can come in, and sight read stuff it would take you and I weeks to work out.. guys that are absolute professionals and the pinnacle of their trade.. The Wilie Weeks, Dave Hungate, Markus Miller types... Of course, James Jamerson was the original famous studio bassist..