1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What happened to the folded horn Cabs?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ZonieBass, Jul 10, 2014.

1. ZonieBass

ZonieBass Send Lawyers, Guns and Money... Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2013
    Phoenix, Arizona
    I hope I'm using the correct terminology. I'm referring to the Bass cabs that usually had a single speaker that faced the rear of the cabinet. I had a Univox version of one many years ago and I believe Acoustic had one as well. Is it just that they weighed a ton? Were they not very efficient? Just curious, why you don't see them anymore. Thanks!

2. RoadRanger

RoadRanger Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2004
    NE CT
    They were actually super efficient but don't go very low. Yes, stoopid big & heavy - and not very flat. Cheap power has made their efficiency much less important.

Crater and Fuzzbass like this.
  3. ZonieBass

Aug 27, 2013
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Come to think of it, I did have a only 100w tube amp then.

4. Mr. Foxen

Mr. Foxen Commercial User

Jul 24, 2009
    Bristol, UK
    Amp tinkerer at Ampstack
    If the horn is long enough to go low, they don't do the mids and highs you need for bass. So they are confined to sub duties. Plus efficiency is less of a concern with SS power levels, so the weight of a horn is less necessary. The short horns like the Acoustic 360 cab have been eclipsed by decent modern drivers.

maestrovert likes this.
  5. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    I don't care where, I'm just glad they are gone along with my old Kustom 18 refrigerator.

6. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
  7. ZonieBass

Aug 27, 2013
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Interesting feedback. Thanks for the response.

8. Some of them had the mids/highs handled by 8" or 10" drivers, such as Traynor's YC-188.

10ems1z.

Cool stuff, but I'd want/need roadies.

alaskaleftybass likes this.
  9. nshuman

nshuman Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2012
    Montreal, Qc, Canada
    ccp
    Phil Jones makes a real nice one. At least one TBer has one.

10. ZonieBass

Aug 27, 2013
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Yeah, I'm with you on the Roadies...

11. ZonieBass

Aug 27, 2013
    Phoenix, Arizona
    univox cab. univox head.

Found a picture of the rig I had. The head was 100w all tube and the cab was a single 15.

Thomas Kirk and maestrovert like this.
  12. ZonieBass

Aug 27, 2013
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Here's a pic of Beck, Bogert, & Appice using them. They did you them on their only tour in the US. What a show that was!!! BB&A.

13. spankdaplank

spankdaplank

Jan 19, 2003
    Philippines
    I still have very fond memories Ampeg V4B 2X15 folded horn and SVT head I used in throughout the '70's and early '80's. I actually had two cabs for a short time. This was with a full time bar/club band - no roadies. The keyboard player had a Hammond B3 and a Rhodes Stage piano that we carried ourselves so my stuff wasn't the biggest. We were strong, young and crazy.
    I have read a lot of stuff here that is negative about folded horns. I would like to add my two cents.
    First of all not all horns are created equal. I have owned or played through several brands over the years, including Acoustic 360, Earth 1X18, EV Eliminator 1X15, and BFM DR250/ Tuba24 which I owned for a few years. With the exception of the Fitzmaurice setup (awesome!), I found the others lacking for one reason or another and didn't really compare to the V4B.

Also please realize that this was at a time there was rarely PA support. I can remember (barely) playing the really big clubs and arenas - 800 to 1000 people - with just some cheesy PA for vocals. (By the way this was at a time when the drinking age was 18 and DUI was less stringently applied = big venues.)
    Horns are correctly recognized as being frequency limited. At the time, the bass was pretty much just used in the bass spectrum, but things were starting to change - roundwound strings, slapping, 4X10 cabs, real bass solos!
    And I will say there is another aspect I haven't seen mentioned here: frequency slotting. I played with three guys who were very serious about our "sound". When we learned tunes we were very aware of each others rhythmic separation and counterpoint. And just as important, our respective frequency slots. As a funk band this gave us a clean and dynamic sound.
    The V4B horn worked perfectly keeping the bass in its own frequency space, but what a powerful dynamic and clean sound it had. Plenty of grunt and growl. No boom or mush.

I've told this anecdote here before, forgive me for repeating myself: This same band was hired to play at a school for the deaf (Mystic Oral School, Mystic CT). We were specifically hired because we had "a bass sound you could feel".
    Half way into the gig I was asked to turn down by some of the deaf students.

14. Steve Dallman

Steve Dallman Supporting Member

I used an SVT into a big 2X15" Carvin folded horn cabinet I bought in 1975. Two CTS 15's. I tried a pair of EV SRO's in it, but to my surprise, the CTS sounded better. I had no lack of mids, and I love treble and could coax as much as I needed from it. I was a fan. Years later in my bi-amped rig, I used Peavey FX-1 folded horn 15's.

But ultimately, speakers improved, X-mass went up and with PA support available, it was no longer necessary to try to fill an auditorium or arena from the stage.

15. Not yet

Not yet

Mar 26, 2012
    Yup... That's why I sold mine in 1980 when the roadies went away.... Take my Neox 112s any day of the week

16. Not yet

Not yet

Mar 26, 2012
    Still play their version of Superstition.... Strange amps, used em for one tour

17. howdoyoudo

howdoyoudo

Jan 11, 2014
    California.
    Not sure why. I love how they sound. Got one not too long ago, about a year now. Getting in lots of good work and put through the paces. This set up doesn't lack anything. They're not that heavy either, and load/unload super easy.

[​IMG]

webmonster, Fuzzonaut and jj4001 like this.
  18. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    Loud stage volume isn't so useful anymore, and never was.
    Horns are still the most efficient use of a driver.
    Given the choice of hauling multiple cabinets versus a fewer number of horns still makes sense in plenty of cases for FOH

maestrovert likes this.
  19. tedsalt

tedsalt Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2010
    Kansas City
    I used to have an old Sunn 115RH 25-30 years ago similar to the one below, which I powered by a Fender Bassman Silverface. Great for clubs, but heavy.

sunnrhfront.

Thomas Kirk likes this.
  20. nshuman

nshuman Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2012
    Montreal, Qc, Canada
    ccp
    piranha_series08.

Thomas Kirk, eukatheude and dropbass like this.