What Happened to Tung basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Kevin WM, Apr 12, 2021.

1. Kevin WM

Kevin WM

Apr 12, 2021
    Norway
    Hello there fellow finger wigglers!
    Decided to make an account on here so I could possibly get some questions answered... And learn more about bass in general as a "new" player!
    So, I am a really big fan of John Myung, and have watched his 90's dvd named "Progressive Bass Concepts" countless times.

In the DVD he is using a 6-string bass made by the luthier named Nicholas Tung, or simply Tung basses. I have tried to find more info on these basses, but there isn't alot of information out there. But if I remember correctly Nicholas Tung made a post on this forum in 2008ish that he was making basses again. But he didn't . . . ?

What happened? What is Nicholas Tung up to now? Will he make more basses?
    BAH SO MANY QUESTIONS

Thanks in advance, Kevin W.M.

2. shojii

shojii

Sep 7, 2011
    Last I heard, Nicholas Tung stopped luthery and became a restauranteur.

3. shojii

shojii

Sep 7, 2011
  4. songwriter21

songwriter21 I have an obsession for wood. The musical kind. Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2005
    I seriously doubt he'll be back anytime soon...been over 11 years.

5. Kevin WM

Kevin WM

Apr 12, 2021
    Norway
    Yea I also heard that rumour.. Pretty sad that he didn't get back into luthery. I still wonder what happened though. He had an account on here and made some posts about coming back, but he didn't... His basses were very unique to say atleast. Maybe I'll stop by and try his food. :woot:

6. I met him a few times when he worked for Tobias and when he launched his brand. I'm probably one of few people to ever play more than 1 of his basses. Super thin necks front to back, I also remember one being yellow and not much more than that.

shojii likes this.
  7. foal30

foal30

Dec 3, 2007
    New Zealand
    I remain hopeful we will get the good oil on Tung

8. warnan

warnan

Mar 1, 2004
    Shanghai,China
  9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 22, 2022