1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

what in the world is "equipted"?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by bass player 48, Mar 24, 2009.

1. bass player 48

bass player 48

Nov 17, 2008
    There's a commercial on TV. - I think it's for rugged lap-tops or something, and they use the word "equipted". I was pretty sure this was a slaughtered pronunciation of "equipped" but I'm not sure, as usually, advertisers don't make up words. :rolleyes:
    But seriously, it bothered me, so I tried to look it up. Doesn't exist on dictionary.com but I'm able to find several web results with the "word" equipted by doing a Google search. (linked for the lazy) http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rlz=1T4SUNA_enUS310US310&q=equipted Even Google says "did you mean equipped" and all of the links seem to show a context where the word should have been equipped.

Am I missing something, is this a regional thing, something used in non US English speaking countries, or is this wide spread ignorance? I heard this on a big budget, professional television ad with products marketed at professional people in the US. What gives?

Here - I found the comecial on youtube -

Sorry - this stuff drives me NUTS!

2. Maybe it's an bad edit? Weird.

3. Disraeli Gears

Disraeli Gears

May 29, 2007
    Irony is fun

4. Joe Gress

Joe Gress

Dec 22, 2005
    Pueblo, CO
    Weird.

5. allexcosta

allexcosta

Apr 7, 2004
    Well... It happens. Next time you watch a movie, keep your eye open for continuity errors. You'll be surprised...

6. Disraeli Gears

Disraeli Gears

May 29, 2007
    Yeah, those are always fun to catch. Found quite a few in The Dark Knight

7. dinghy

dinghy

May 27, 2007
    Saratoga, CA
    It's not saying 'equipted.' Listen closely. "Get equipped at foratoughworld.com"

8. Lazylion

Lazylion Goin ahead on wit my bad self!

Jan 25, 2006
    Frederick MD USA
    Bingo.

The percentage of idiots on this planet is rising, no doubt about it.

9. nataku

nataku

Jun 21, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    I heard equipted the first few times, but now I definitely hear equipped at. That's probably what it's saying.

10. TheDarkReaver

TheDarkReaver Banned

Mar 20, 2006
    Lincolnshire, UK
    I see no spelling of the word on that video. Unless of course I'm missing it?

11. That's exactly what they're saying. It's not super clear, though.

12. Ding! Ding! Dingy!

You win.

I wouldn't have caught that- and it wasn't until after I read your post that I even finished watching the commercial- with the "foratoughworld.com" url prominently displayed...

13. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    votedforobama.

14. J. Crawford

J. Crawford

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    Um..

15. I can't stop looking at this picture. Strangely enough, I am listening to one of your "down and dirty dub" songs.

lowsound