Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What is Alexis Sklarveski doing now?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by waytoodeep03, Mar 7, 2005.

1. Is he still alive? Wanted to know if he had any more recent work besides the slap bass program? Any recent pictures I became an instant fan of this guy the moment I saw the SBP.

2. Within the last year, I sat in on a class he was teaching at Musician's Institute, in Hollywood.

He looks pretty healthy. No imminent risk of death.

He did seem a bit annoyed at having to deal with the pikers at that school. But other than that, he seemed like a nice guy that fully knew what he was doing on bass.

3. Yea I just found him on the BIT website. How is that school by the way?

4. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    He's also currently a columnist for "Bass Guitar Magazine" (UK).

5. Panther

Panther

Dec 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia
    Too bad he wasn't converting his Slap Bass techinique video to DVD...

I don't have a VCR anymore!

6. It's really amusing. Lots of wannabe rockstars come in knowing basically nothing, and leave knowing lots of disparate techniques. It is possible to get a good music education there, but you have to get it for yourself.
    I guess, it is potentially a good way to kickstart your learning, but learning too fast has its own problems.

7. cat_saltnpepper

cat_saltnpepper

Aug 15, 2004
    Toronto
    Alexis is doing fine. He seldom does a gig though..His nickname in MI is 'Bass Machine'..:) So precise that sometime it feels like sequencer, not a player.

Lots of faculties left from school once new japanese owner changed whole system of school. some of them are really famous players like stu hamm, frank gambale, dave hughes, steve bailiey, etc...

It is still great place to learn but you need to push yourself really hard 'cause most of faculties doesn't really care about students. Main reason they are still there is they can easily get a gig and Scott henderson.

Still great place to practice, get resource and gig, meet people, etc...
    I'm in berklee now but practice room is slightly better in MI:)
    If you want to focus on more 'artistic' field, take a look on LAMA - Los Angeles Music Academy.
    Former berklee faculty, Ed lucie and few bass players are there to teach and focus on more of jazz, latin and world music. They have really nice drum dept. too.-bass player always need good drummer:)

8. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    God! Ain't THAT the truth!