Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

what is in hub's mouth

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by KidNamedFord, Apr 28, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KidNamedFord

KidNamedFord

Aug 17, 2003
    MI
    ive seen pics of leonard hub hubbard (of The Roots) in bass player and saw him on chappelle last night. kick ass bass player, but what is that think in his mouth? it doesnt look like a cigarrette or cigar or anyother smoke. does anyone know?

2. KONG

KONG Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2000
    NY
    It is licorice. ;)

3. He's ok, but his ego ruins any talent he may have. His Bass Player magazine interview was not good. But that sure does look like a big old phattie to me too :D

4. The Lurker

The Lurker

Aug 16, 2002
    Ankh-Morpork
    decent enough bass player, but a horrendously arrogant person. Really, he has an ego that wouldn't fit in a landfill.

5. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    The printed word can be taken so many ways... Yes he does appear arrogant, but I wasn't present at the interview to get the full context of what he was saying, only an edited account... There's no denying his talent. And didn't another supremely arrogant bassist say something to the effect of "It ain't bragging if you can back it up"?

-robert

P.S. KONG's right... licorice

6. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    I wouldn't call him arrogant, I don't know him well enough to make such assumptions, but I would say he was a little close minded about multi string basses. I think it was something along the lines of "those guys can't play" refering to anybody who plays more than a 4, and that is just silly. Just because he doesn't use them doesn't make people who do a bad bassist.

I have heard he is good, but I am a little skeptical of anyone who personally labels himself is a virtuoso. There are numerous virtuoso bassists in the world but I don't think any of them go around telling others that they are a virtuoso.

7. The Lurker

The Lurker

Aug 16, 2002
    Ankh-Morpork
    I've met the guy a couple of times, so I'm not going just by the interview. He's even more of an arrogant jerk in real life than he came across in that BP thing.

And as an un-famous bassist (to wit, me) said, "if you're a royal jerk and you can play well, you're still a royal jerk."

Basically, Hub plays very simple, basic funk (and sometimes very repetitive and boring) grooves for most of the show, then goes off for a few minutes on a solo that he played the exact same way every time I saw them. If he wants to call himself a virtuoso, fine, but really, from listening to the CDs and catching a couple Roots shows, I just don't see it. There's probably fifty guys on this board who could do at least as well.

8. waxlabltabler

waxlabltabler

Aug 24, 2002
    Ohio
    AKA a "chew stick". Licorice root sometimes soaked in oils/essences/juices etc to give it different flavors.

9. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Don't Smokers usually use these things to help with the oral fixation aspect of a smoking addiction?(when they are trying to quit)

also, why has this thread started to talk about whether or not HUB is arrogant or not, can't we please talk about more important things, like what's hanging out of his mouth? :rolleyes: sheesh some people

10. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Bleh, I can't believe so many people are STILL up in arms about that interview. I read it, saw the mutlistring thing, but you know what? It was a very small comment, and frankly, I quite enjoyed the rest of the interview. Yeah, YMMV, IMHO, etc., but it was still a good interview and there's no denying he's intelligent and knows about what he's playing.

11. I met Hub a few weeks ago and he was real cool. I don't know what kind of experiences you guys are talking about but he didn't seem arrogant at all.

I bet a lot of you are still hot over that Bass Player interview, probably just over the 5-6 string thing. It's called opinion. We could take many a quote from this board and publish it and just that many people would sound cocky.

I agree with the person who said he plays pretty simple stuff throughout the show and then has is one solo part that is more or less the same. But they also usually finish out their shows with a medley of music from all different genres... when I last saw them they played some Rick James, some Toni Toni Tone (sp?), Rapper's Delight and more. This is where he gets into it a little bit more.

Anyway my whole point is I met him and he was cool. And he has the black J-bass that I am craving for right now.

12. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    Agreed.
    I guess the interview must not have bothered me when I read it. I don't recall getting too worked up over anything he said.

I'm wondering if anyone who was bothered by his "multi string" remarks was similarly incensed by Tom Hamilton's "multi string" remarks in Bass Guitar Magazine a few months back.

In the end, everyone has their opinions. None of them are gospel and most of them are intended for their own personal guidance.

13. Could it have possibly been a toothpick?

14. BustinJustin

BustinJustin banned

Sep 12, 2003
    NYC, LI too
    100% sure it' a chew stick... if ya don't know what it is or where to get one..... then it' not for you..

only a few OGs will understand....

15. corinpills

corinpills

Nov 19, 2000
    Boston, MA

Oh, you mean he lays it down and does exactly what a bass player should do? You mean he's tasteful and doesn't ruin tunes with his ego? I think I'll take that kind of virtuoso over the ones who destroy songs by making sure evrybody knows how much they've practiced.

16. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Your opinion.

I find repitition boring, the playing doesn't have to be insanely difficult, just not repititive.

I saw a singer/songwriter last week, same simple chord progressions over simple, depressing lyrics for two hours. I am really glad that I didn't have to pay to see that. If she had spiced it up a little, then it probably wouldn't have been half bad.

17. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Are you familiar with the roots abark? because HUBs playing is perfectly suited, it's simple, laid back, locked in with the drumming, and it's not overly repetitive.

but ya know, you can't have a groove without repetition

18. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    I met Hub at a Roots show in VT.
    Was doing sound for show.
    At first Hub was arrogant, with big ego.
    But once we go talking he was cool.
    Just an act, or front to keep people away.
    What people above say about his playing is true,
    but fits his band well.

19. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    :bassist: nuff said

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.