1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What is the correct way to reduce neck tension before removing strings?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Cooljazz58, May 16, 2011.

1. Cooljazz58

Cooljazz58

Mar 23, 2011
    Hi all,

I have medium gauge strings on my p-bass and want to change the bridge and tuners. Someone told me once never unwind the strings (to remove) all at once because this could cause damage to the neck due to the tension from the truss rod (with no counter string tension).

Is there a good way to go about taking all the strings off a bass and not damage the neck?

Thanks, Rick :)

2. prd004

prd004

Dec 3, 2010
    Don't worry about it, just take the strings off

3. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN"

Oct 11, 2009
    MEXICANADAMERICA
    i've never had a problem removing all strings at once.
    (knock on wood)

4. Nikoubis

Nikoubis

May 3, 2007
    Athens, Greece
    Always done that too, never had issues either.

5. JLS

JLS

Sep 12, 2008
    Emeryville, Ca
    I setup & repair guitars & basses
    This is one of the great Bass Urban Myths, one of those, "They say____________", canards. It's right up there with, "Only turn your trussrod adjusting nut 1/16th of a turn, then wait a week for the neck to settle".

Change your strings and bridge, you have nothing to worry about with your neck.

6. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    Loosen the strings a bit then loosen them some more. When loose enough to pop them off the tuners, do so. All done. The only time to take all the strings off is when needing to take the neck off or to do fretwork etc. For string changes do each string one at a time, tuning up as you go then doing final string tune up tweak after the last new string is on. Its true that most modern basses including imports have better neck then basses of old. So taking all the string off isnt as big a deal as it was long ago. Still, taking great care of ones instruments is a benefit.

7. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize!

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    If you are really worried about it, remove the G, then the E, then the D, then the A. That should minimize the twisting on the neck.

8. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    :D:D

...oh wait, were you serious? :eyebrow:

9. Steveaux

Steveaux Safe-Guardian of the Stoopid Supporting Member

Jul 1, 2008
    The Wilds of NW Pa.
    +1

/thread

10. capnjim

capnjim

Mar 13, 2008
    I always loosen string by string in steps until they are loose. Probably not even needed, but just a habit.

11. seanm

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Sure :p If the OP is worried about tension... take them off one side at a time. I personally never bother; I just start with the E string and go up for no apparent reason. But doing it the way I mentioned can't hurt.

12. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    sure, but while you're at it, always wearing a blue shirt and lifting one foot off the floor while re-stringing can't hurt either :rolleyes:

13. seanm

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Oh oh...... I always wear a black shirt.... I knew I was doing something wrong :crying: