1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What is the difference between these Schroeder Cabinet Line

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by gwangi, Jan 15, 2012.

1. gwangi

gwangi Supporting Member

Jul 4, 2009
    Forbidden Valley
    Yes can you knowledgeable folks here on Talkbass tell me the difference between the Schroeder Light Series, BMF Series, & Punch Line Series cabinets.
    The reason why I'm asking is I went to his website and looked at all different Lines of cabs and there really was no description of what the real difference is between each line, they all have Neo speakers, priced roughly the same, I know there is different configurations but they are advertising 3 different Lines of cabs so what is the real difference between the 3 Lines of cabs.
    Thanks,
    Gwangi

2. I think this is how it is, but I might be wrong:

The L series have the fancy angled baffles in most cases, with multiple drivers.

The PL (I have the 15) are in even smaller cabs. Too small, hence no bass.....

The BMF are the 'regular' cabs, with traditional driver placement and construction.

Correct me if I'm wrong!

3. jnewmark

jnewmark Just wanna play the groove. Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2006
    Stax 1966
    Third St. Cigar Records staff musician.
    I asked Jorg about this in an email, and got sort of a nebulous answer; he was'nt very forthcoming about differences. The only thing he did say was that the BMF 212 sounded more like a 410, than the 212PL, which he uses himself in his own band. He thinks the 212PL is the cream of the crop, in that driver size. Frankly, with the exception of a different tweeter in one of them, I really don't see a difference, at least in the 212 category. Weights are close, specs are the same, price is the same. One thing I did find out is that, the PL series has dampening material on the bottom of the cab only, nowhere else.. I won't even go into the mumbo jumbo he gave me as to why the cabs were not fully lined. I have read great reviews about the PL series, though.

4. ErnieD

ErnieD

Nov 25, 2004
    Atascocita,TX.
    I've been to the site as well and was not clear on the cabs' differences myself. If what JCroisdale said above is correct that makes it much clearer to me now.

Oh, TO OP: I have to ask here:
    Your username "gwangi"?

There was a great movie in the 60's-70's called "Valley of Gwangi". It was dinosaur claymation at its best and every chance I get to sit and watch it on TV, I do. It took me back to my youth when my friends and I'd sit in a theatre all day Saturday and watch 4-5 movies like that or my best faves; Peter Cushing/Christopher Lee vampire flicks. Hammer Productions IIRC. Great fun. I need to check NetFlix for it now. :p

So no offense if its not meant that way and sorry for the de-rail. But if it does, thanks for the reminder of a great pasttime of my youth. Peace, ernie. :)

5. gwangi

gwangi Supporting Member

Jul 4, 2009
    Forbidden Valley
    Yes to EarnieD regarding the username gwangi, "Valley of Gwangi" is my all time favorite movie not to mention some other movies I like kick serious ASS but "Valley of Gwangi" & "One Million Years B.C." are on my top 5 movie choices of all time.
    Now regarding the Schroeder cabinet help thank you very much for the insight I'd still like to get better info to what the difference is with the different Lines of Schroeder cabinets, I'm in the market to buy a Schroeder cab but everything is really confusing on there website and I've noticed alot of people here on Talkbass are selling Schroeder cabinets which is telling me the quality might not all be there so I might seriously consider Bergantino instead.
    Gwangi

6. timber22

timber22 Supporting Member

Funny... I asked the same question in the Schroeder Club thread a couple weeks ago. Didn't really get a definitive answer other than call Jorg and he can explain it. Which really is not a bad answer, but I haven't done it. But, I agree that the cab lines are almost the same price, specs, weight, etc and there's really no description on the website of one vs another that would help a potential customer choose.

7. jnewmark

jnewmark Just wanna play the groove. Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2006
    Stax 1966
    Third St. Cigar Records staff musician.

Don't let the classifieds mislead you. GAS is a neverending condition for bass players, and the classsifieds are a good way to try different stuff, then turn around and sell it again. It's no reflection on any particular brand. Having said that, I'm still puzzled as to why Jorg does not choose to fully line his cabs, at least the PL series, which he is almost giddy about if you ask him. A well lined cab is one of the basic tenets of cab building. Still, alot of people like them. Makes me want to try one myself !

8. ErnieD

ErnieD

Nov 25, 2004
    Atascocita,TX.
    Thanks "gwangi". Glad to hear I guessed right; thought I was totally coming outta left field with my silly question. Cool then, sick minds think alike. :p :D