1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What is this wood?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by IAmTheAntipop, Jun 17, 2014.

1. IAmTheAntipop

IAmTheAntipop

Jun 10, 2014
    What wood is used for the top of this Fodera Imperial? imperial.

2. Not an expert but I like these games, so my guess is Sapele?

Or maybe an exceptionally red-hued Walnut?

3. IAmTheAntipop

IAmTheAntipop

Jun 10, 2014
    That would a be a beautiful piece of sapele then, nicest one I've seen! And I'm quite sure this isn't walnut

4. lbridenstine

lbridenstine

Jun 25, 2012
    MI
  5. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    Owner/Builder @Hopkins Guitars
    If I had to guess, I would say flamed Koa because of the color, but I have never seen it with a grain pattern like that.

metalhead398 likes this.
  6. metalhead398

metalhead398

Jul 23, 2013
    Ventura
    +1

7. when in doubt choose spruce.

8. IAmTheAntipop

IAmTheAntipop

Jun 10, 2014
    Hum, isn't flamed Koa paler and more yellowish?

9. IAmTheAntipop

IAmTheAntipop

Jun 10, 2014
    Thanks to Ibridenstine I think I found it! Pretty sure it's Figured Claro Walnut, thanks ;)

10. curly maple

fnord!

11. IAmTheAntipop

IAmTheAntipop

Jun 10, 2014
    Look up for Claro Walnut on google, exact same thing as this, oh and by the way :
    You won the game with the walnut guess sir! Congratulation! :bassist:

12. I'm confused, youngster OP.:cigar: Was this a guessing game or did you need support from the TB community? :unsure:
    I for one will ignore your threads unless they are more than a BINGO party:rollno:

f n o r d !

13. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    you sure it's not redwood?

lbridenstine likes this.
  14. Dave Higham

Dave Higham

Dec 19, 2005
    S.W.France
  15. IAmTheAntipop

IAmTheAntipop

Jun 10, 2014
    Nah I really didn't know, I just looked in the list of top woods Fodera offers just like Ibridenstine showed me, and looked for Google images of each wood, and I found these basses with claro walnut top and they looked exactly like that Fodera : http://www.mayones.com/en/custom_shop_gallery/comodous_5custom_walnut .And for the guessing game thing I was just joking with Cosmo Reverb...I really had no clue. And yeah it definitely is red wood, it's the exact same bass, thanks!

Oh and by the way, does anyone know if I could get an effect similar to redwood by dying curly maple or some wood like that? It would be a cheaper alternative ^^

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 18, 2014
  16. lbridenstine

lbridenstine

Jun 25, 2012
    MI
    The redwood is a burl that's also curly, so if you can find curly maple burl and dye it that color, it would probably be pretty similar. Keep in mind that every piece of wood is different, so you might have a hard time finding another piece of wood that has that figure that kind of spews out from the center like that... but it's possible.

17. IAmTheAntipop

IAmTheAntipop

Jun 10, 2014
    Damn you Fodera for making me drooling for things I can't afford!