1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

what I've got so far...

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Mofo-Kang, Jul 22, 2007.

1. Mofo-Kang

Mofo-Kang

Aug 26, 2006
    Modesto, CA
    ...any suggestions? Glaring deficiencies? I'm still thinking hard about a software recording package for a PC setup.

2 AKG d9000 mics
    Tascam DP-01 Portastudio
    Boss Dr Rhythm DR-880 drum machine
    MicroKorg keyboard

What's next (or should be next, or isn't necessarily next, but would be helpful, or whatever)?

2. What is your price range for recording software ?

3. Mofo-Kang

Mofo-Kang

Aug 26, 2006
    Modesto, CA
    I'm not sure...I don't know enough about the options to make an educated guess at this point. :( The publishers aren't much help, they all say they have the very best product EVER, bar none, and they all do EVERYTHING perfectly...

4. Mofo-Kang

Mofo-Kang

Aug 26, 2006
    Modesto, CA
    anyone?

5. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    What are you going to do with the MicroKorg keyboard?
    Do you need a softsynth or sampler to play?
    If you look at Sonar or Cubase they include synths and drums
    I'm not sure if the portastudio can be used as a PC interface - can it?

6. Mofo-Kang

Mofo-Kang

Aug 26, 2006
    Modesto, CA
    I'm pretty much trying to make a home studio that will let me record my own songs completely--as in, just me playing. The Microkorg's for doing non-guitar, non-bass, non-drum instruments. I also have access to a piano, which I can mic.

I think so. Which software is easy to use for this sort of thing? A friend of mine likes using Fruityloops, but I dunno...I'd rather not spend a bunch of money on software and just have to turn around and buy different software a few days later because I don't like it.

7. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    I would say Sonar. It's my first choice. It comes with many usable freebies. It comes with a couple of drum machines, that I would recommend using because of the ease of internally syncing in the software. They include a bunch of beats to get you started.

I recently had to use Cubase for a project with someone else. It was good, but just seemed a little clumsy at times. Could just be me.
    Protools is another choice - but it focused more at the pro level.

If you want to get into looping and live sequencing check into Ableton Live.
    Just depends on the kind of music you're trying to create and if you ever want to play it live.

8. daren_woodall

daren_woodall

Jun 11, 2007
    Austin, TX
    This is not so much the case any more. The DigiDesign MBox Mini Pro-Tools LE is a good consumer option. At $295 is quite a bargain for both the interface and software. If being limited in single mono/stereo inputs isn't a problem, you should consider this option.

I'm not advocating any particular setup as the choices are varied. I'm merely relaying one combo I have experience with.

With any software based choice, consider the power of your PC. If you want to use amp modeling plug-ins as I do, they demand a potent machine.

I find Pro-Tools easy to learn and use. With the addition of a few accessories including the Presonus FaderPort, KRK monitors and dual flat-screens, it is very functional. I'm really pleased with the results I'm getting with little recording background experience. From this pic, you can see it is very sparse on equipment: http://darenwoodall.com/images/HomeStudio.jpg http://darenwoodall.com/images/HomeStudio2.jpg

Daren