1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What jazz pickups sound like MIM standards?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by pattyløve, Jul 25, 2012.

1. pattyløve

pattyløve

Apr 7, 2009
    Sydney, Australia
    Endorsing Artist: Ashdown Engineering, D'addario
    A couple of years ago, i bought a brand new MIM jazz made in the 90s. I found the pickups on it to be amazing, i loved them. They were twangy and bright, almost like you put telecaster pickups in a bass. The bridge was burpy and articulate, not smooth at all and the neck sounded scooped with an aggressive top end.

However i had to replace the pickups because they were VERY microphonic (im assuming from age) and just a tad too cold. So i bought the fender CS60s as per talkbass recommendations. I found them to be very dull and uninspiring - i dont know if there was something wrong with them or they just weren't my thing but they sounded nothing like people had described.

So my question is, what pickups are out there, around the same budget as the CS60s that can nail that twangy, aggressive (slightly scooped) tone of my MIM? I've tried the duncan SJB3s before and although they are closer to the tone im after, they were too modern sounding for what i'm after. SJB1s maybe?

Thanks in advanced

Edit: I like a low mid hump and an aggressive high end in my bass tones