1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

what kind of source level from bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by somerset04, Sep 1, 2008.

1. somerset04

somerset04

Jun 11, 2008
    Hi,
    As a beginning bass player,I am wondering what kind of source level my fender mustang with a passive pickup gives out.
    My mixer says to use LINE/Mic switch depending upon either a line-level source such as keyboard /audio or microphone/ other mic-level source the source level.
    Please help me in the issue. Thnaks.

Somerset04,

2. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    A bass is instrument level, you need some sort of preamp in front of the mixer, most likely, if I understand you correctly. What else are you using? Amps, speakers, etc.

3. amper

amper

Dec 4, 2002
    US
    You'll definitely want some sort of impedance transforming device (i.e. a preamp) in front of your board's input channel with a passive instrument, unless it has a very high input impedance, which is unlikely. The preamp should have a line level output.

4. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    I have plugged guitars (telecaster, Les Paul, etc.), passive basses, and mics into my 10 year old Mackie 1202 mixer. Works perfectly. Quiet, good EQ, very flexible routing. You don't need a preamp, because in effect each channel is a preamp, especially if you have input trim pots like the Mackie does.

Piezo pickups are another matter.

5. GregShadoan

GregShadoan

Sep 1, 2008
    Oregon
    Erm.. A mixing console is actullay a bunch of preamps, albeit Mic preamps generally, but none the less preamps. If the mixer has hi impedence inputs, line level, usually 1/4" jack, inputs that should work. If it does not, simply use a DI box, passive or active (if the mixer has phantom power) and a mic cable. Either way, you should be able to plug an instrument directly into most mixing consoles, with very few exceptions.