1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

what makes essex so cheap?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by king_xanadu, Sep 1, 2008.

1. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston
    I'm going to reply on this wood selection thing for a second time. No argument that quartersawn is the best option, but....

Please name for me some basses in the sub $1000 market that use quartersawn necks.

O.k. How about sub $2000?

That said, Both of the SX basses I've owned have had very stable necks. Well with in the expectations of any new mass produced bass. Both rarely need adjustment, and I live in New England with 4 distinct seasons, and keep the action set at 5/64" at the 12th fret. It'll go lower, but that's where I like it. :)

2. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    To me, a company paying a living wage to workers, American or elsewhere, and that abides by international labor and environmental standards/treaties is worth having around. 12-14 is possibly the factor needed to support those things.

The cheapest goods may have a hidden cost. All IMHO. :cool:

3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Then again, they may also be providing Mr. Kwan and his family with the best living they ever had. Sweatshops are a fact of life in burgeoning economies. Usually, the first sign of an emerging economic power is sweatshops. Doesn't make it right, but in the long run it's a healthy sign. And we've seen in the past that it does no good for anyone to keep these poor countries poor and undeveloped, because they can't buy OUR overpriced American goods if they're poor. It's a complicated scene that I barely understand, but when the sweatshops start, that's usually a sign that a country's about to emerge onto the world market. Then once that happens, the isolation ends and they become more dependent on everyone else in the world. Then we can start to make human rights demands just like WalMart did when they found out some of their goods came from sweatshops. So I feel like I'm actually helping our country and helping to end human rights violations in China by buying a couple cheapo SX's. It's a long process, but it has to start somewhere. Can't just hide from it.

4. BobXboB

BobXboB Banned

Sep 25, 2007
    Well said.

5. dls59

dls59 Supporting Member

+ a billion. How arrogant.

6. ynie92992

ynie92992

Jul 27, 2007
    North Carolina
    You know what?
    Look at the attachment.

Attached Files:

7. no1likesme

no1likesme

Dec 26, 2006
    Shepherd, MI
    was that really necessary?

This thread has been open for a few days already without starting a flame war.

Please stop trying to start a fight. This forum would be MUCH more pleasant if everyone would just stop posting useless stuff like this.

Sorry to single you out but it just annoys me.

8. ynie92992

ynie92992

Jul 27, 2007
    North Carolina
    Yeah, I know. I actually looked through the thread and was surprised that there was no fighting. I wasn't trying to start one.
    TB,I'm sorry.I actually thought it was funny that there were not many conflicts.Almost every other SX thread has a flame war going on.

9. JZQuantum

JZQuantum Supporting Member

Oct 12, 2008
    I agree. All I can say is, I have not picked up my Modulus since I got my SX. Yes, the Modulus might kill the SX at just about everything, but I still can't put the SX down!:bassist:

10. bassbrock

bassbrock

Feb 20, 2007
    Callahan, FL
    What 5 string SX had the smallest, thinnest and fastest neck? If no fives, how about fours?

11. One thing that should be mentioned... I read somewhere that SX instruments are manufactured in Guangzhou. That is one of China's SEZs (Special Economic Zones) and is supposed to be one of the more affluent places in a very, very large country.

To make a statement that sweatshops are indicative of emerging economic power... yikes. :rollno:

12. allexcosta

allexcosta

Apr 7, 2004
  13. Does anyone have any proof that SX [Rondo] products are made in "sweat shops"?

Anyway, JimmyM is correct. A population isn't going to go from "third world" to "modern" overnight. Economic activity has been a good thing for the people in countries like China, as millions are entering their middle class every year. Things we take for granted, like 24/7 electricity and indoor plumbing, are now becoming commonplace because of the evils of globalism and companies like Rondo.

14. SX instruments come from an affluent place that caters to large-scale manufacturing and exporting. How that trickles down and reflects the working class, I do not know. I do not think it is a fair assumption to make that "millions enter [the] middle class" without any information to substantiate that claim.

I am not trying to slander Rondo or SX in any way either. I just think that it is important to point out that the instruments come from a place that is grossly different from the rest of the massive country.

15. You'd have to not be paying attention not to notice the upwards mobility of millions of people in China. Yes, millions every year are enjoying new creature comforts that we don't even think about twice here in the US. And I did say their middle class, which shouldn't be confused with ours, but is still a step up nonetheless.

I don't understand the point there. The manufacturing and exporting areas of China have provided millions of new blue and white collar jobs to China's population, much of which has had a lower standard of living than we have enjoyed in the West for generations.

Perhaps we are on the same page? Yeah, much of China could be called "third world" for lack of a better term, but standards of living there are rising at a scale that is unprecedented in sheer numbers [along with India of course].

16. BobXboB

BobXboB Banned

Sep 25, 2007
    Kind of like Tobias does :)

17. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    SX 5 strings are basically wide four strings(1.75 nut, IIRC) with an extra string added.

And people, please don't buy SX's, I bought one, it tried to burn my house down, gave my dog rabies and called me names!:bawl::bawl:

But for that trauma I have a fantastic bass, lightly flameed maple neck(100% not on purpose), three piece alder body, rosewood fretboard with good grain, jumbo frets(my prefrence), bound fretboard(strange, rosewood and black binding), good fretwork, working hardware and a great pickup, yup it sounded like a P bass, felt like one, looked like one and played like one, till I modded the bejesus out of it.

18. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Do we really need to single out Rondo in this discussion? Just curious why people are singling out that one middle man.

While I don't know economics, or how to change a country from being poor to being one of American stature, I do know a couple of things:

1) Essex does something, and they do it well. They make easily affordable gear that pratically anyone can go out and purchase.

2) Essex is no worse than any other Made in China product. It can probably be argued if they are any better.

3) Avoiding the situation by not buying essex basses will not help the situation.

Would you really feel any better if these instruments cost 2x of what they do? What would that do? Line th pockets of the factory owner, more than likely, and doubfully much else.

Disclosure: I have owned three SXes, two fretted fivers, and a fretless fiver. I recently sold the two fretted, but am holding on to the fretless. I enjoyed all three during their tenure, but have moved on to greener pastures.

19. von buck

von buck

Feb 22, 2008
    wolcott ct.
    Well I think I'm going to get me a left handed PJ bass. I play about once a month with a SRV close player, who of course detunes. I've done the gig with my 5 string and i've done it and just transposed down a half step, but he likes the open string sound, so i'm going to pick up one and make it a dedicated E flat bass.
    PS, before anyone suggests just detune, I don't want to have to keep redajusting the neck.

Andy