1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What Media Did It For You...InThe Beginning?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by crios, Oct 29, 2018.

1. crios

crios

Feb 14, 2017
    Miami, Florida
    What Media, as you began your early journey as a bass player, set you firmly on the fundamentals; launching your growth toward maturity?

For me it was a Hot Licks video lesson titled, The Lowdown With Glenn Letsch. (I highly recommend this video to all who are currently beginning their bass journey. Sadly, it's hard to find today since it has be discontinued.)

View attachment 3196532

Name the media that did it for you in the beginning of your learning. THNX!

Last edited: Oct 29, 2018
    lowplaces likes this.
  2. ryco

ryco

Apr 24, 2005
    Screen Shot 2018-10-29 at 7.41.47 PM.

JimK and lowplaces like this.
  3. lowplaces

lowplaces Got Punch ?

Dec 20, 2015
    Louisville Kentucky
    BriefcaseFullofBlues.

When that album came out I wanted to play bass after hearing it.

Learned it by ear.

Oddly and crios like this.
  4. RustyAxe

RustyAxe

Jul 8, 2008
    Connecticut
    Media? It was the mid 60’s ... 45rpm records and LPs. Listen, play, repeat.

JimK, QweziRider, Nashrakh and 3 others like this.
  5. Aebersold book wth 33 1/3 rpm records.
    Then the Jaco cassette and vcr video and book

6. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    An actual human being, so I guess meat and bone...

JimK and Bob_Ross like this.
  7. socialleper

socialleper Bringer of doom and top shelf beer Supporting Member

May 31, 2009
    Canyon Country, CA
    It has always been books for me. The first was a seriously ancient Hal Leonard "Electric Bass" book with a plastic record in it and pictures of a guy that clearly had shag carpet and wood paneling in his house.
    After that I learned from tab books for bands I liked, which was hard because the selection of printed books for bass notion of metal bands has always been terrible. I'd play Ride the Lightening or Master Of Puppets all the way through.
    DVDs were never that useful for me. Often the instructor's yammering would get in the way of me trying to get the information I wanted. I had the Jaco VHS and an early Wooten VHS, but I mostly watched them just to see the players play. I didn't learn much from them.
    YouTube seems like it might be useful, but I'm at a point where there isn't much instruction like that can do for me. Same with Skype\Facetime sessions. Having a tutorial session with a bass player I actually admire would be fun, even though the questions would be "Where does your music come from, and how do I steal some of that" or "How do I make more time to practice when I'm tired all the time and my day job eats up all my time?"

Nashrakh likes this.
  8. RichardW

RichardW

Feb 25, 2016
    near Philly
    I had a teacher and he just encouraged me to listen closely to stuff I wanted to play. This was circa 2004 so the only real new tech I invested in was one of those Tascam slow-down CD players. It was such a pain in the rear end to use, however, that eventually I scrapped it. By then I was in full iTunes mode. Now I use Spotify and generally find I don't have to slow stuff down to hear the bass the way I want to. Sometimes I'll use the slow-play feature on YouTube, which can be helpful.

9. ThudThudThud

ThudThudThud

Jun 4, 2010
    Put vinyl on turntable. Drop stylus onto the track. Listen. Learn. Repeat.
    Play along. Pick new track. Repeat above.
    Watch Old Grey Whistle Test. Watch bass players. Steal their licks.

Oddly, SteveCS and IamGroot like this.
  10. ryco

ryco

Apr 24, 2005
    Oops! Forgot to mention this one! Put it between the other two above!!

Screen Shot 2018-10-30 at 12.12.38 PM.

12BitSlab and IamGroot like this.
  11. BassChuck

BassChuck Supporting Member

Nov 15, 2005
    Cincinnati
    3 sources. The record store and the two ears on my head.

JimK and crios like this.
  12. Badwater

Badwater

Jan 12, 2017
    It wasn't until Guitar Player Magazine came out (early 80s), that I learned tabs, and all the secret licks to famous guitar leads. Then it was the internet and YouTube. Prior to all this, I just watched others play, and stole licks and tricks.

crios likes this.
  13. crios

crios

Feb 14, 2017
    Miami, Florida
    You sound like me then...

14. crios

crios

Feb 14, 2017
    Miami, Florida
    That must be the very best way to learn. You must be a good bassists.

15. JesterJoker010

JesterJoker010

Nov 4, 2018
    Well, in the beginning it was having the basic theoretical and practical knowledge already from playing guitar.
    What got me to get good was playing in a band that forced me to, since they used a lot of unusual rhythms, odd meters and complex song structures.

For me by far the best way to learn to play an instrument proper is being forced to create yourself by being in an originals band that challenge your comfort zone.

16. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather Supporting Member

I used Hot Licks early on. After that, I just listened to a lot of music and learned licks and nuances. Went to a lot of concerts and studied bass players and all musicians. Also listened to the balance of the band. Watching the sound guys too.