1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What pickup for JJ Burnel sound

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by callingltu, Jan 15, 2012.

1. callingltu

callingltu

Jan 18, 2011
    Hey,

I've got squier p-bass classic vibe, and i'd like to change my pickup and maybe all electronics, to get that old JJ Burnels stranglers bass sound :) I've tried running my bass on marshall guitar stack, but it didnt get any close to stranglers sound :) What pickup would you suggest to get that 70s stranglers sound? :)

2. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    From Wikipedia:

So maybe a better P pickup, like a Duncan.

3. I have achieved a similar sound to JJ. I use it at different time throughout a set of our original tunes and involves a TC Electonic NOVA System, but should be obtainable with a simple OD pedal as well as some EQ. Now keep in mind I wasn't trying to recreat JJs tone by any means I just found a tone I liked and stuck with it. I used to do it with a cheapo Ibane ToneLok OD pedal actually. I use the lowest amount of OD I can get away with on the pedal to get a nice gritty crunch and then I also have my EQ engaging some mids to help accentuate attack and cut through a bit. I usually find playing around with pretty much all frequencies between 100 and 2k until your get what you want. For me that's typically a slight rise. Around 180-200 and again around 1.5 to 2k and rolling off everything under 60 sort of like a high pass. That seems to work for this particular tone, of which I have several in a set, but most sounds are based around this slightly aggressive crunch. I should mention that this is the same setting I use on both my active PJ basses as well as passive Jazz and P bass, though it was originally set using the actives. I could enjoy a bit of retreating for the passive instruments, and one day I will, but for now it's working great. I know this is likely not what you wanted to hear, just spitballing. I have run through guitar rigs before looking for a nice tone that existed in my head, but never found it in a guitar rig. I have been experimenting with pedals and fx boards for years now and rely on them heavily for tone, although I don't use over the top effects. They do allow you freedom of expression with tone versatility though.