1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What Pickups/Electronics To Get?? JBass/Status Neck

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Sundown1206, Aug 3, 2012.

1. Sundown1206

Sundown1206

Jan 26, 2010
    Chicago
    I recently had my Status Graphite J Neck on a regular MIM P. It sounded weak. Too nasaly. It just wasn't sounding thick enough. The electronics were fine. Passive Master Volume and Tone along with Quarter Pounder Basslines. I since sold the P bass with its original wood neck, and I just ordered a J Body that my friends and I are going to paint some sort of Sparkle/Metallic Blue. Anyways, I plan to put the same Status neck on the J I'm building but don't want to run into the same problem.

SO.. I'm steering towards active electronics for a more versatile sound but I'm not even sure of that. Does anyone have any pickup/active electronics recommendations? Or opinions in general?

I'm more of a Stingray guy, but also love the J feel. Just to give you guys a feel of what I like.

Thanks!

2. Sundown1206

Sundown1206

Jan 26, 2010
    Chicago
    Anyone?

3. LukeFRC

LukeFRC

Mar 15, 2012
    Scotland
    There is the possibility you don't like the sound of the graphite neck?

In my experience status pickups and pre's have a fairly warm tone- I guess to counteract the brightness of the neck.
    I personally would try a set of barts in there, as the slightly muted top end will counteract the bright graphite. but that's just me!

4. Mabrothrax

Mabrothrax

Dec 21, 2007
    East Sussex
    damn, I would kill for a status neck, shame they don't make em left handed!

For a really different EQ I would highly recommend the ACG filter stack (if you've got the £££)

5. Sundown1206

Sundown1206

Jan 26, 2010
    Chicago
    Well I love the sound of graphite as flea is my favorite bassist. I don't like the idea of having bartolini written across my pickups though to be honest

6. LukeFRC

LukeFRC

Mar 15, 2012
    Scotland
    I have it written across my pickups on my warwick... that warwick, in broad daylight is currently 4 feet from me. I can not see the writing on them......

a lot/most aftermarket pups have some kind of logo on them

7. BassMonstrum

BassMonstrum

Mar 7, 2008
    You could just buy a right-handed one. Tim Commerford (Rage against...) used to have lefty necks on right-handed basses for a longer E-string.