What Pickups? HELP!!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by doug_ctte, Feb 27, 2005.

1. doug_ctte

doug_ctte Guest

Jan 11, 2004

I have a Yamaha BB605 5 string active bass, which has factory fited yamaha J type pickups. The bass although active, is generally passive, with volume, pickup blend, treble boost/cut and bass cut/boost. The active part, is an on/off switch, and ONLY applies to a mid sweep control.

The pickups sound fine, but, are a bit weak, but pretty versatile sound wise, and I'd like to upgrade them. Trouble is, I don't know WHAT to upgrade to, or at all.
    I play rock most of the time.

Any suggestions would be appreciated, and any issues regarding current config when replacing would be appreciated. I'm a bass player of 20+ years, but, I'm a plug n play type of guy. I've never replaces/mucked about with a bass before. I love the feel and everything about the bass. Just trying to improve it.

2. bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Before buying new pickups, I would try to raise the heights of the ones you have. If you like the tone and just want more output, I would try that first. If you wind up replacing them, I would look into Fender and Basslines. Hope this helps.
  3. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    I had a Yamaha 5 string a few years back. I found the J style pickups in that to be like yours-weak, and thin sounding.

Get yourself a set of Nordstrand J style P/U's for 5 string, and you'll be happy as a clam IMHO. :hyper: