1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What Pickups? HELP!!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by doug_ctte, Feb 27, 2005.

1. doug_ctte

doug_ctte Guest

Jan 11, 2004
    Scotland
    Hi,

I have a Yamaha BB605 5 string active bass, which has factory fited yamaha J type pickups. The bass although active, is generally passive, with volume, pickup blend, treble boost/cut and bass cut/boost. The active part, is an on/off switch, and ONLY applies to a mid sweep control.

The pickups sound fine, but, are a bit weak, but pretty versatile sound wise, and I'd like to upgrade them. Trouble is, I don't know WHAT to upgrade to, or at all.
    I play rock most of the time.

Any suggestions would be appreciated, and any issues regarding current config when replacing would be appreciated. I'm a bass player of 20+ years, but, I'm a plug n play type of guy. I've never replaces/mucked about with a bass before. I love the feel and everything about the bass. Just trying to improve it.

Thanks

Dougie

2. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida
    Before buying new pickups, I would try to raise the heights of the ones you have. If you like the tone and just want more output, I would try that first. If you wind up replacing them, I would look into Fender and Basslines. Hope this helps.

3. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    I had a Yamaha 5 string a few years back. I found the J style pickups in that to be like yours-weak, and thin sounding.

Get yourself a set of Nordstrand J style P/U's for 5 string, and you'll be happy as a clam IMHO. :hyper: