1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What Pickups should i buy?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Klainti, Nov 30, 2019.

1. Klainti

Klainti

Nov 15, 2019
    I have a Yamaha 4 string pj bass with 65-130 string on it and setup for C standart tuning, considering its price(180eu used) it plays very nice and the only thing it falls behind is the sound.
    I use only the neck pickup 99% of the time and so there is no reason to get a pj set since am not going to use that bridge pickup anyway, i found the geezer butler signature pickups just the p one new for 90-100eu and at the same price they were some other like the spb3(which my fender pbass came with) from seymour duncan and i also think i saw some dimarzio ones in the same price point.
    My question now is what do you think will suit me the best keeping in mind that the bass is in low tuning and with high gauge strings.
    I've uploaded an old photo of my bass below.

Attached Files:

2. Zoobiedood

Zoobiedood Commercial User

Sep 1, 2015
    Writer/Ambassador/Artist/Resident Bass Expert for Seymour Duncan
    What is wrong with the pickups you have now? What kind of music? Choosing pickups is basically a combination of power (feel) and EQ (construction). But you have to know where you are to see where you want to go. Just hoping for 'better' usually results in a sideways step.

Lobster11 likes this.
  3. Klainti

Klainti

Nov 15, 2019

I thought you could guess by the tuning but anyway, I play melodic death and nu metal the ones I currently have are just very bad sounding this is a budget bass were talking so the pickups in it are very cheap aswell

4. Zoobiedood

Zoobiedood Commercial User

Sep 1, 2015
    Writer/Ambassador/Artist/Resident Bass Expert for Seymour Duncan
    What don't you like about the current pickups (sound-wise, not price)? What do you want out of a pickup change?

ctmullins likes this.
  5. Klainti

Klainti

Nov 15, 2019
    Recently I played a 5 string bass that was 'made' for metal and without any eq or effects it was sounding 'growly' , dark and very punchy.
    I don't know how else to describe it.

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 12, 2021