Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What should I ask?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TheChariot, Jul 8, 2004.

1. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Mmk... I'm selling a MusicMan Stingray 5, Fretless and Lined. It sells for a ton at Guitar Center... like... $1800; $1400 on clearance. Received in 2003, and seldomly played.

I'm tryin to sell it online and I'm asking $950... but a lot of the used Stingrays (on eBay at least) arent going for that much. Do you think that I'm asking for too much? I mean... it did cost more to get it fretless and such, since I had to order it special.

Eh... I'm really just looking for an opinion on the price. Maybe I'm not thinking straight and should lower it... but I honestly feel as though I'm asking a fair amount. Anyone think otherwise?

2. I-Love-Ratm

I-Love-Ratm

Feb 24, 2003
    You would get a good trade for it!

3. dabshire

dabshire

Dec 15, 2002
    McKinney, TX

Yeah, it sucks, but basically it's only worth what someone will pay for it. You can either drop your price, and see if anyone bites, or you can just wait and see if someone comes along looking for that particular bass.

From what I have seen, it's a buyers market right now as far as gear goes, unless it's something that is ultra rare, or hard to find.

Don

4. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Just because you paid too much for it doesn't mean that someone else has to . . .

A good deal for a brand new SR5 from a REPUTABLE shop will go for around $1250, fretted or fretless. Used, they typically go for around $850 on Ebay.

Stay away from the big chain stores and find a dealer who you can build a good relationship with. They'll take care of you and make sure you get a fair deal.

5. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    See, that's the sensitive issue here. I got the thing for free... but like you said, some prices are inflated due to chain dealers. I'll likely lower the price if I dont get lucky soon. Thanks for the input everyone.

6. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    There it is...

7. With all due respect,
    Dude. You got the thing for free (endorsement deal?) and you're asking guidance because you didn't immediately get a premium price for a mint but relatively common instrument?
    SR5s sell for $750-$850 tops all day. Not that many people go for green. A few months back, another chain had the same bass, albeit fretted with a big chip on the lower horn, for $850 and it took months to sell. Are you offering a 30-day warranty like they did?
    I'd advise you to cut the price. I've bought rarer, pricier instruments for a lot less from players who also got those basses for free.

8. It's your bass, I say ask what you want. If you can afford to wait on it, someone might eventually come along and give you what you're wanting for it, like Dabshire said. If you need to move it now though, then you will likely have to be open to negotiations. Just my 1/2 cent.

9. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    For free, let me guess, parents bought it for you? :rolleyes:

There was nothing clearence about it. You mean $1800 retail, $1400 sale price. Clearence would have been $900-1000. I'm more than sure you're including tax in that $1400. The market price for used Rays right now is fairly cheap. If you want to sell quick, then you have to give buyers a reason to buy it quick. I had to sell a Stratus Blue Sparkle Ray with matching headstock for $700 because lack of interest.

10. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    And to be fair, its whatever the market will bear.

Example: I purchased several used SR5's from Ebay from between $750 and $850, depending on condition, color, etc.

BUT, I paid $1150 for one, because it was a 1991 model with the older preamp, in "just off the assembly line" pristine condition, and the exact color I wanted, including the better quality wood/tolex case. A guy won it in a contest back in '92, and stored it away and never used it, it never saw the light of day. Not even a tiny swirly on the top finish from wiping with a cloth. Others bid nearly that high as well, and I was happy to pay that much for it. I wouldn't pay anything near that for a model with the plastic battery cover and the newer preamp.

The fact that it was "special ordered" does nothing to the used price. That just means the store didn't have the color options you wanted in stock at the time. There is nothing special or custom about the teal color of your bass, it is pretty common with SR5's, even on Ebay. Its not a discontinued color, either, which sometimes might fetch an extra $50 or so.

Really, I'd say if you can get $850 for it, you are doing well. $900 plus shipping would be a great score for you, but you'll have a slightly harder time finding a buyer at that price.

11. danshee

danshee Banned

May 28, 2004
    Chicago, Illinois
    In the words of Dr. Evil, "1 million dollars!"

12. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    My parents didnt buy me a damn thing... we're poor as hell. I had a giant, cancerous tumor the sixe of a grapefruit in my knee and I got a wish from the make-a-wish foundation as I was laying in a hospital bed without a hair on my body.

I picked out what you see me selling (along with my current rig, a Pearl Export set, Gibson Les Paul Studio, Mackie PA/Mixer and a Crate Guitar Combo). Yeah... its a better wish than a trip to Disney World, if you ask me. Need I ask that ANY of you would wish for something along the same lines??

I'm aware of what Stingrays go for now... but for some reason GC is selling the exact same one I have (they ordered 2 for some reason) for about $1400 now. I just saw it last week. I had NO clue why they've been trying to sell it for that much... but I figured it must be worth more for some reason or another. Obviously, I've come to realize that it HAS to be overpriced (if its been sitting there for over a year). And I started this thread because I dont know what the HELL I am doing, or what Guitar Center is doing for that matter. :bag: Or no... scratch that.... I was just asking for opinions for fun. :D

I've already altered my selling price to be around what a stingray normally costs for a used model.

And EXCUSE me for not being a know-it-all about expensive or vintage equipment at age 17! :spit:

Offended??...... file a lawsuit ;) :p

Thanks for the input guys. I like this place :cool:

~Evan

13. Why don't you learn a little before you are quick to whip out the spoiled kid insult that is WAY too common around here. Don't be hating because he got a bass for cheap/free. We all play bass, we are all here for a reason. No need to hate on anyone or anything.

14. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    +1

That was a bit quick to judge man. I have gotten my guitars for free, and I appreciate them. And they were gifts or donations. You can't hate on someone for that. Not trying to get on your case here, and I'm sorry if I have.

Chariot, I'm glad you're with us! Cancer sucks. My grandma has it, and she's not doing so well. Good to see you made it through. And, I see you're kinda new here. Welcome to Talkbass. I hope you enjoy it here, becuase I sure have.

15. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    Well, sorry. But if a 17 year old comes up, says he has a MusicMan Stingray 5 and says he got it for free, what would be your first thought? I live in an area of town, in which I see spoiled kids run amock. I'm not saying he is, but its all too common these days.

~Patrick

16. And even if his parents did buy it for him, what's the big deal? More power to them for actually trying to make an effort to keep their kids into something positive rather then not make any effort at all to get a good hobby into the kids life that would keep them away from drugs, fights, etc etc.

17. Fliptrique

Fliptrique

Jul 22, 2002
    Szczecin, Poland
    Endorsing Artist: Mayones Guitars&Basses, Taurus Amplification
    damn, my Grandma bought me my first decent bass, and i was around 20 at that time.
    i worked really hard to buy my current bass, but i you ask me, i`d would prefer to get it for free, and watch star trek and play bass 8 hours a day instead of the usuall 9-17...

:D