Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What should I buy? 5 string help...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Starbucker, Aug 11, 2005.

1. Starbucker

Starbucker Guest

Jun 29, 2005
    Billings, MT
    Hey folks.

Right now, I have enough money to buy a very high quality five string, and I'm having trouble deciding which would be a better overall pick. So, between a Peavey Cirrus 5 and a StingRay 5, which would you choose? Any reasons to back up your choice would be very helpful.

Gracias.

2. Bassossorus

Bassossorus

Oct 21, 2004
    CHICAGO
    i know this is neither, but lakland.

3. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    stingray 5

you just cant go wrong

4. Tough choice man. I prefer the Stingray myself but you may find the Cirrus more versitile.

5. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    Stingray.

But I like the Bongo much much more and it's pretty much the same price. If you want to know details do a search on Bongo and read one of the countless threads. :)

6. This is not an easy decision at all. But i can tell you i think its a win/win situation.

7. Joe Nerve

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Just an added note: these threads really are completely pointless. They're both good basses and the response you get is going to have to do with whoever chooses to respond. People who bought peaveys will say peavey, people who bought stingrays will say stingrays.

Play them both until one of them talks to you and says BUY ME! Buy it. Then go out 6 months later and buy the other. It's the only thing that ever worked for me.

8. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    Are you implying you own more than one Bongo? ;) :D

Joe's right. I would have said Cirrus because I own one. He is also right about trying them out and letting them talk to you.

9. I love a growly, funky, slap master machine, so its SR5 for me!

10. Joe Nerve

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Number 2 is being delivered tomorrow. :)

Couldn't decide if I wanted a 4 or 5 string. Made my decision just as I suggested above. :)

11. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    Cool! I'll wait until the obligatory new bass thread to find out which one you got. I want to save up for one. :)

12. Starbucker

Starbucker Guest

Jun 29, 2005
    Billings, MT
    Pointless to some people, but I think it's always helpful to get feedback from other experienced players in order to make my decision a little less difficult. I like hearing why peavey owners stick to peaveys and why mm owners stick to mm. So, though the feedback is neutral, everyone's opinions on these basses are somewhat valuable to me.

13. hasadari

hasadari

Jun 23, 2005
    I have a Spector 5 and a Warwick Infinity SN 5.

They're both great, but VERY different. The Spector has great spacing, but a less growly sound. The Warwick has close spacing but has an awesome feel and a super growl.

14. Joe Nerve

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Just cuz I like to argue sometimes :) ....

You could do a search for each bass, read reviews at the countless websites (harmony central, musiciansfriend, americanmusical) that have user review, and go play the basses to see which is best FOR YOU. To compare 2 quality basses here... ahhh, whatever - who am I kidding. I think I've done it too. I'll shut up now. Good luck.

15. hasadari

hasadari

Jun 23, 2005
    Agreed.

16. Fretless5verfan

Fretless5verfan Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2002
    Philadelphia
    In addition to those two i suggest you check out lalkands as was mentioned earlier. I prefer them to both cirri and stingrays. I wouldn't even be selling mine if i wasn't in desperate need for cash for a fretless :crying:

17. vacman

vacman

Mar 8, 2004
    portland, or
    I had an SR5 and sold it. To heavy. Also could not get used to five strings; at least on that ax. I have since grown fond of Pedulla five stringers. Easy for me to navagate and dark tone for days. IMHO of course. Good luck with your hunt and play as many as you can get your hands on. :bassist:

18. PeaceFrog

PeaceFrog

Aug 25, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Sting Ray 5

19. ErnieD

ErnieD

Nov 25, 2004
    Atascocita,TX.
    I just traded my SR5 for a Cirrus 6. I liked the Sray for 3 yrs I owned it but I was looking for something different, I sure found it in this Cirrus. Not better, but different, to me anyway. Be sure and play both. I also have a Lakland Skyline 55-01 I like alot. Maybe look for one of those or the 55-02. Or to avoid confusion buy a bass now, buy another later. Either way, enjoy.

20. Aj*

Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    It's already been said but you're in a win-win situation here, play them both and whichever one "speaks" to you more for the style you play is your bass. You really can't go wrong though.