1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What should I do? (Ampeg content)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Indigo, Mar 18, 2009.

1. Indigo

Indigo

Feb 19, 2004
    Örebro, Sweden
    I am in the process of changing from a SVT Classic-rig to a SVT-AV-rig. I have sold the CL and bought a SVT-AV. I still have a 810E, and I am now looking for a 810AV. But they seem to be impossible to find, at least here in Sweden. I have found a couple of Vietnam-made cabinets, and one US, but that one is not in very good condition. I have even talked to the swedish importer, but they have no US-made cabinets still in stock.

Now I am starting to think about buying a new one. And I've heard that they are now being manufactured in Korea, is that right? I've got the impression that the quality of the Vietnam-made Ampegs is not that good, do you think that the Korea-made will be better?

Or should I go with the US-made I've found? It's a '99 that have been used a lot. Or should I wait and see if a better US-made cabinet shows up?

Btw, sorry about my possibly bad English, ask if something sounds weird =)

2. mophead

mophead Supporting Member

Oct 24, 2004
    Texas Panhandle
    If it were me I would change the grill cloth on the 810 to the AV style and call it a day. Go to Flip Tops and they will sell it to you.

3. MIJ-VI

MIJ-VI Banned Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2009
    Since you already have an 810E, why not wait until the right 810AV pops up? It's just a matter of time before one does since many players are switching to lighter rigs.

BTW. Your command of written English is fine. :)

4. Indigo

Indigo

Feb 19, 2004
    Örebro, Sweden
    Yeah, that is also an option, but as I am living in Sweden, it would maybe be hard to do. But I've sent a request to Flip Tops, will see what their response is.

But I would also prefer a whole AV-cab, as the cloth is not only the difference, the tolex also has a different structure to it. Maybe that sounds ridiculous, but that's me I guess =)

5. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Before I went with the 99, I would check and make sure it's not made of UDF or whatever that chipboard stuff is called. But if it's made of actual plywood, there is no way in hell I'd ever buy a new 810AV over one made before 2001. They use better sounding drivers that are more full range than what they use now. Sure, they may handle less power, but who cares? You're only pumping 300w through it, anyway.

Besides, thrashed 810's look awesome!

6. Indigo

Indigo

Feb 19, 2004
    Örebro, Sweden
    How do I know what it is made of? It says on the back that it handles 800 watts RMS, but it's not stereo like my 810E. It is made in July 1999.

So do you believe that '99 AV is better sounding than my '02 810E?

On the downside I think is that the '99 AV doesn't have skid rails or a kick plate. But on the other hand I will be using a cover for the cabinet...

7. MIJ-VI

MIJ-VI Banned Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2009
    Good point on Medium Density Fiberboard cabinets. I once owned a Bassman 100 cab (the one with the weird 4X12" cross-fire baffle) made of this stuff. It was heavier than it should've been, and it buzzed like a beehive on certain notes at loud volumes. 3/4" plywood rules!

8. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    To find out what it's made of, you have to pull a speaker or look for ripped spots that show the wood.

And yes, I do think that the 99 would sound better than the newer ones. Of course, that is all personal opinion, and if you like it, that's all that counts.

9. Indigo

Indigo

Feb 19, 2004
    Örebro, Sweden
    I've got some pictures of the cabinet from the current owner, would it be okay if I send those to you in a PM or an e-mail, maybe you could look and see if it is plywood? I have some close-ups of ripped spots.

10. debassr

debassr

Jan 23, 2008
    Boston
    Why not just post pics in this thread and let everyone partake in the fun?

11. Indigo

Indigo

Feb 19, 2004
    Örebro, Sweden
    Well, why not. I'll crop out some of the ripped spots and come back to you in a minute =)

12. Indigo

Indigo

Feb 19, 2004
    Örebro, Sweden
    Alrighty, here goes...

810av_01.

810av_02.

810av_03.

810av_04.

13. +1. the only way i'd ever rock a fridge is if it looks like the fridge indiana jones hopped in after the nuke!

14. metron

metron

Sep 12, 2003
    Denver
    Probably not going to be able to tell by those pics. You need to see more exposed wood. It should then be easy to tell if it's pressed chipboard or actual plywood.

You might be able to tell by pulling off the grill. If I remember correctly it is just flat black painted wood on the panel the speakers are mounted to.

15. thats not even that bad! grab some glue and glue the rips down and it will look new!

16. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    I am pretty sure the baffles were always made of plywood, so that wouldn't work unless there is exposed wood on the surrounding frame. And yeah, you need quite a bit more exposed wood than those pics show to make a determination. Like if you could have lifted that spot by the caster, you could probably tell.

Or you can wait till Jerrold Tiers comes on tonight and he can tell you the exact timeline.

17. Indigo

Indigo

Feb 19, 2004
    Örebro, Sweden
    That would be perfect! Hope he sees this thread =)

18. metron

metron

Sep 12, 2003
    Denver
    Ah good point.