Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What should I do with my Squier Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by GreatBlueYeti, Jun 7, 2004.

1. GreatBlueYeti

GreatBlueYeti

Jun 7, 2004
    :bassist: Hey I have this Squier Precision Bass that I have had for three years. I've been practicing a lot with it in the past year. I've gotten good on it with practice and I really like it, but I'd like to do something to it and im not sure what... So I had a few questions-
    If I took off the frets would it work well as a fretless(I've played one before and really liked it)? :confused:

There aren't any holes for extra pickups but I'd like to add Jazz bass pickup with a switch to change between the two. I'd like to know first of all if thats possible? How much you'd estimate it to cost and lastly is worth it?

Also the wood that is under the pickguard is stripped so I am not able I screw the end of the pickguard into the bass. I have taken the liberty and put some duct tape to hold it down but im not real sure if that'll be a problem or if there is a way to fix it? :p

Or should I just screw upgrading it and just get a new bass?

Thanks-The Yeti

2. Nick Wagner

Nick Wagner

Feb 24, 2003
    WA, USA
    Well, first off, you could try posting in the Bass section ;)

3. GreatBlueYeti

GreatBlueYeti

Jun 7, 2004
    lol sorry this is my first post :smug:

4. StrudelBass

StrudelBass

Jul 6, 2002
    California
    I remember reading a trick on here on fixing stripped holes. Just put a tiny piece of toothpick in and screw in the screw and it should stay in. Something along those lines.

5. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    I would tell you to save up for a better bass and to hell with fixing up a Squire!

(Euwwww.... Squire! :spit: )

6. I vote for lighting it on fire and smashing it at a show.

7. jja412

jja412 Fine gear enthusiast

Feb 2, 2004
    St. Louis
    Beat me to it... :D

Seriously, If you really like it, keep it as is. Buy a different bass, like a P/J fretless. Then your basses are covered.

The matchsticks/toothpicks thing works very well.

8. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

A couple of ways to go, IMO;

- trade it in on a bass that pleases you more. The Squier Affinity series still remains the best-selling line on the market. Trade-in would be no problem, especially at an Authorized Fender Dealer.

- You might want to keep it. If you you look at Talkbass threads about "What was your first bass?", many of us are nostalgic and regret having rid ourselves of our first bass. Then again, the market has changed dramatically, (i.e., has become more competitive), and, for older suckers such as I, our first basses were endearing oddities as opposed to the relatively decent basses you can buy now for the same money and the old basses were produced in much lower quantities.

9. GreatBlueYeti

GreatBlueYeti

Jun 7, 2004
    :p hahah thanks for ur opinions guys i'm almost considering burnin it

10. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    Well depending on how much you want it, how much you paid, howq tight money is I would suggest:

Get a new bass, keep this for backup
    Get a new bass, Screw around and rip this one up and try somehtign out/ break it on stage (do this if money is comin out yer arse and you dont care about losing a cheap bass)
    Trade it in/ Sell it to any newbie you know wanting to start bass and buy a standard P or J or whatever bass is tickleing your fancies now.

Welcome to TalkBass.
    Sgt. Baker is my name

11. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Keep it as a back up bass and by a new higher quality bass with the specs you want.