What size is this bow?

Discussion in 'Bows and Rosin [DB]' started by Michael Eisenman, Jun 4, 2018.

1. Michael Eisenman

Michael Eisenman Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2006
    Eugene, Oregon
    I just received a bow for a rehair, and it is shorter than my full-sized bow. Its hair length is 20½", as opposed to my bow's hair length of 22". It seems a bit outside of the range of variance for a full-sized bow. Half-size, maybe?

0ED0FDA7-3CDB-420F-A655-5E3A686568E7.jpeg

2. Mgaisbacher

Mgaisbacher Supporting Member

Oct 18, 2012
    Nashville, TN
    Others with more knowledge will I'm sure have more insight but I feel like this is in the range of "normal" "full sized" for bass bows. As with basses I don't think there is a specific cut off with sizes of bass bows and there is a ,to of variances. It seems that there are two general sizes that people tend to make and use, one being around 22inches in the measurement you gave and the other being about a inch or so less.

I know I for one like bows on the shorter side, but thats just preference. For example my main bow is a little over 21inches from ferule to the back of the head, so I guess the bow you posted maybe a little on the short side but I don't know if it would be considered less than "full sized" Think of how many basses fall in-between the labels of 5/8, 3/4, and 7/8ths. It seems just almost everything with basses haven't even come close to becoming standard, including their bows.

Michael Eisenman likes this.
  3. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 28, 2021