1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What song did you learn RIGHT NOW?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by gonzilla, Apr 16, 2009.

1. gonzilla

gonzilla

Jan 26, 2009
    Ok, here's the format for the thread-

Name of the band - Name of the song
    Bassist for the Band
    Genre (Just approximate it, if you don't know)
    Difficulty Rating (see Rating Guide)
    Comments-

Example -

Rush - Tom Sawyer
    Geddy Lee
    Progressive Rock
    I had some problems with blah blah, specifically the blah blah blah.

Difficulty Rating Guide-

* Easy. Someone picking up a bass on day 1 could probably nail it.
    ** Relatively easy. A bassist with a few months experience could breeze through it.
    *** Moderately difficult. Doable by a bassist whose been playing for a year or two.
    **** Hard. Required some skills found in an experienced bassist.
    ***** Insanely difficult.

2. gonzilla

gonzilla

Jan 26, 2009
    Stratovarius - 4000 Rainy Nights
    Jari Kainulainen
    Power Metal
    The song was insanely easy, with the exception of a short fill towards the end of the song. While the song is nearly all roots, it's still fun to be a part of this song. If you don't know Stratovarius, think "Queensryche with more symphonic elements". I recommend this song for a brand new bassist who wants to get into power metal or symphonic metal.

3. gonzilla

gonzilla

Jan 26, 2009
    Guns N Roses - Don't Cry
    Duff McKagan
    Heavy Metal
    Learning this was a piece of cake due to the plodding nature of the song (it was something in the range of 65bpm) and the relative lack of quarter notes. I think it's an important song to learn for a beginner, though, because every other guitarist out there can play at least some of this. It makes transitioning to jamming with guitarists an easy thing. I learned the song in about an hour.

4. gonzilla

gonzilla

Jan 26, 2009
    Pink Floyd - Money
    Roger Waters
    Progressive Rock
    It actually took me a while to get this song down. I think the key to a beginner learning this song is to get the main bass riff down and then work from there. From that point, it's just filling in the pieces. It also gives you more time to look ahead while you're autopiloting the main riff. The fact that the song is heavily 7/4 isn't really a big obstacle if you were familiar with the song before you attempted it. Another thing that helped me out was that I played it stacatto- holding chord shapes like a guitarist would and arpeggiating them held me back, so I lifted my fingers after every note, which freed up my hand for movement. I think a beginner would definitely need that freedom of movement on a standard long-scale bass.

5. kingbee

kingbee

Apr 18, 2006
    Luiz Bonfa and Antonio Maria - Samba de Orfeu
    Jazz

I'm just starting to get into samba rhythms and this tune is a real treat. The real challenge with this one is keeping the line interesting and flexible over the 4 bars of the Imaj7 and the EIGHT bars that just jump back and forth between the ii and the V.

6. Hoover

Hoover Banned

Nov 2, 2007
    New York City

Um... you do realize that's ridiculously skewed towards the absolute neophyte, right?

7. HaVIC5

HaVIC5

Aug 22, 2003
    Brooklyn, NYC
    John Coltrane - Countdown
    Paul Chambers
    Shred Metal

8. Return to Forever - Spain
    Stanley Clarke
    Latin/Jazz Fusion
    The only really difficult part of this song is the band tutti but it's a lot of fun to play once you get it. The arrangement was actually done by someone else but I don't fee like digging through all my music to find out who.

9. gonzilla

gonzilla

Jan 26, 2009
    Yes.

10. onlyclave

onlyclave

Oct 28, 2005
    Seattle
    What is this now? TalkGuitarHero? Sorry dude, there aren't any "levels" to conquer in music. Lets talk about the virtues of TAB and what modes you play in a II-V-I instead.

11. mrniceguy715

mrniceguy715

May 2, 2006
    oklahoma
    I learn "i dont know why I love you" brand new heavies. Would say is was moderate. you can make it easy but if you throw in the fill from the album it would take a lil time not long to get fluid with it.

also "all fired up" great moderatlyeasy slap tune from BNH

12. KingLouie

KingLouie

Apr 16, 2009
    Muse- Hysteria
    Chris Wolstenholme
    ***1/2
    Just a bit tricky if you play it over 2 strings rather than one and racing up to the octave, but quite easy when you get into the groove of it. The coolest thing about the song is the chorus is totally open to improv :)

13. Deacon_Blues

Deacon_Blues

Feb 11, 2007
    Finland
    Abba - Virtually the whole Abba Gold CD + some more songs

Need it for a gig in a few weeks... Bassist mostly Rutger Gunnarsson, I believe.

Rating: ** - ****, if you need to have something on that. I would have given the music a max difficulty rating of three asterisks, but no, a guy/gal with only 6 months experience could not play this whole repertoire with ease and make it sound good without serious mistakes, except if he has some serious musical experience from other instruments to stand on. I'd consider one having played less than a year a beginner.

14. paul_wolfe

paul_wolfe

Mar 8, 2009
    London
    INXS - Need You Tonight
    Bassist - Garry Gary Beers
    Rating - *
    Hardest Thing is adapting a 5 string bassline for 4 string (with a bit of transposing and an octave pedal is easy)

15. bakjewel

bakjewel

Mar 6, 2009
    Red Hot Chillie Peppers - Coffee Shop
    Flea
    Punk Rock

The normal groove itself is slap bass(but it's easy once you get used to it) Then you get a harder slap solo then an even harder fingerpicking solo.

16. UncleBalsamic

UncleBalsamic

Jul 8, 2007
    UK
    I think your ** and *** rating categories are too close to gether. *** should be something an average player with a couple of years of experience could handle easily. ** should be someone with only a few months experience.

17. gonzilla

gonzilla

Jan 26, 2009
    There needs to be a guide as to practicality of a song for people at different skill levels. You actually think II-V-I is the most important part important part of bass? No, the most important part of the instrument is getting people to actually pick it up to play it, and if it requires a level system to get people to progress, then so be it. So if you're looking for a thread where people talk about the virtues of TAB rather than getting them to actually play something, I invite you to find one of the other trillion threads that already exist on it.

That's the first and last I'm going to say on this.

18. gonzilla

gonzilla

Jan 26, 2009
    I agree. Adjusted.

19. D Rokk

D Rokk Banned

Feb 19, 2009
    Delta Quadrant
    just learned jailbreak..

it was easy.. but the song kicks ass