1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What strings would you put on a vintage Jazz?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by armybass, Oct 17, 2013.

1. armybass

armybass Gold Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2001
    I have a 66 Jazz that I am looking to put strings on. I am looking for an old school sound for this old school bass. I am thinking flats and have my eyes on LaBella 760FL or DR Legend flats at the moment. I prefer a lighter tension string but not dental floss wimpy and I want a warm old school tone. LaBella 760FL's are my flats of choice and I really liked the DR Legends when I tried them but just searching for suggestions.

So given those perameters..... what would you suggest?

2. petergales

petergales

Dec 29, 2009
    Leeds UK
    I have Chromes on my Overwater Jazz. They sound really smooth and warm.

3. Malachi71

Malachi71

Oct 11, 2007
    +1. I have Chromes on my 75RI Jazz. They sound fantastic.

4. StevieMac

StevieMac

Mar 17, 2005
    Vancouver, BC
    TI Jazz flats would be my choice.

5. exidor

exidor

Jul 10, 2011
    Detroit,MI
    a tort guard & flats will get the sound you want.

6. Adam Wright

Adam Wright Supporting Member

Jun 6, 2002
    Arlington,Tx
    GHS Strings
    just put on your LaBella flats. I use those on everything now.

7. TRob1293

TRob1293

Feb 1, 2008
    Louisville, KY
    I feel the same about Sadowsky Flats.
    (made by LaBella, I think) - but a bit brighter

8. One Drop

One Drop

Oct 10, 2004
    Swiss Alps
    Try Sadowskys.

Same ballpark tone as LaBellas but with a bit more growl and a drop less thump.

Perfect for a J.

9. theretheyare

theretheyare Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2010
    Brooklyn, NY
    Endorsing: Arkham Vacuum Tube Amplification
    After some experimenting with 2 sets of Labella flats I put an old set of TIs on my AVRI 64 jazz, and that settled it for me. The perfect string for that bass, as far as I am concerned.

10. I would recommend GHS Precision flats. These will give you that fat old-school vibe, with less tension than the LaBellas or Chromes.

11. Sparkdog

Sparkdog Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2006
    Burbank, CA
    I'm a big fan of Chromes because they are so versatile and consistent (NEVER had a bad string or uneven tone between strings) but if it's truly old school you're after I don't think you can get more authentic than the La Bella 760FL set.

Those have a nice balance of thump and definition. You can make them fairly bright with the tone knob maxed, or roll it down and go to Motown.

Tension is not bad at all to me. I have them on a vintage style Jazz and it feels superb. I have the 760FS set on a Precision (those are the 45-105's) and they are considerably darker AND tighter feeling, a bit too much for a lot of folks.

12. bigswifty1

bigswifty1

Dec 8, 2011
    I'll +1 for the Chromes. I have Chromes and TIJF's on almost identical instruments and love them both, but I think the Chromes sound more vintage, since that is what you want.

Of the half dozen or so flats I've tried, none "clean up" as well as Chromes. So you have the choice to leave them to gunk up for thump, or polish them up for bright and zingy (remembering this is flats we're talking about here)

Mike

13. huckleberry1

huckleberry1

Jul 1, 2013
    Mesquite, Texas
    student
    what do you like? That's all that matters...

14. armybass

Jul 19, 2001
    Thanks for all the great input. I love LaBellas and will probably settle on them but I think I am gonna give the DR's a shot because I really dug them on the bass I had them on. I may also try the Sadowskys. I already have LaBellas on my 75 Precision, GHS Precision Flats on my 83 Stingray and Chromes on my L2000. I may wind up with a different brand of flats on each of my basses. :0)

15. LaBellas are THE "vintage" electric bass sound IMHO... but GHS would be next in line, especially if I were after a bit less tension.

16. armybass

Jul 19, 2001
    OK I tried the DRs and it was way more tension than I wanted to put on that neck but they sounded great..... Same with the LaBellas so I settled for the TIs. Not nearly as robust and vintage sounding as I hoped for but the feel is perfect and it is not torquing the neck. Satisfied.

17. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:

My 1963 Jazz has had a set of TI JF344's on them for over 3 years. I'll never use any other string on this Bass.
    The still sound as good as when I put them on.
    I know some people are put off by the price. But they last forever.

18. armybass

Jul 19, 2001
    Yes sir they were the right string for that bass. Feel and tone is perfect and they are not cranking down on a 50 year old neck.

19. MKA

MKA

Apr 14, 2012
    Northern Europe
    I just got LaBella 760fx (extra light) set for my custom shop 64' jazz. Very nice set, tension and sound is somewhere between TI's and La Bella 760fl's.

20. armybass

Jul 19, 2001
    I am a 760FL fanatic but did not really dig the tension of the 706FL's on the slimmer Jazz neck. But the TI's are perfect.