What to buy next.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by ImSquare17, Jan 3, 2006.

1. This is a very self interested thread, and I apologize, but I want advice and wasn't sure how else to get it. So here's my situation and question:

I've adequate everything, I'm not dissappointed with any of my gear really, though i know that almost all of it could be improved on. I've got an upgraded MIM Jazz running into a 1980 MXR Microamp into a Pignose B100VH which runs into a single Bag End S15BD.

My question is what should I get next? Everything could be improved on, I could use another cab, or a more powerful head, I could also use a backup bass (as it is I really only have the one bass). If you were me what would you buy next?
  2. Chris A

Chris A Chemo sucks!

Feb 25, 2000
    Manchester NH
    Let's see if we get more replies in Misc..............

Chris A. :rolleyes: :bassist:
  3. I guess not, thanks for the help Chris!
  4. fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    The first thing I did was replace the p'ups in my mim jazz, though I should have had the wiring/pots replaced as well, I just didn't know that at the time. That would be my first course of action (well, it was).

Then worry about the amp. However, depending on the year of your jazz, the p'ups could be fine and making you very happy. That's just what i would do.
  5. AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    I'd check my G.A.S list, see how much money I had, and start knocking them out. I'd make sure I did just keep buying things and get something I really want.
    With me that's one of everything, two if I like them. :)
  6. Kronos

Dec 28, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA

You definitely should follow this advice. My addendum would be that you can never have enough basses at different tunings.
  7. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I would get a decent head before I got anything. Then I'd look into getting a 2x10" or 4x10" cab, and then I'd get another bass. Your bass is probably the best part of your rig.
  8. Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    A good, high-wattage head first.

Then an extension cab to go with the Bag End. I personally would go with a 1x12 with a tweeter.
  9. Yep, my MIM is a 2004 and the upgrades I have done are:

Fender 60's Custom Shop Jazz Pups
    Leo Quan Badass II
    Everything is shielded and star grounded
    Totally rewired (new pots, cap, jack and wiring)

Working on this bass was so much fun! But I've done almost everything I can to it, besides new tuners (or a new body/neck), so I think the next step on the instrument front would be a new bass.

I think because I don't feel I need anything urgently that I am going to save up and start getting those items that I really want (my GAS list) like you have suggested.

Thanks everyone, and I'll be happy to hear anyone elses suggestions if you've got them!
  10. I second this. I've been looking for an extension cab for the S15BD myself actually.
  11. Pruitt

Jun 30, 2005
    Danbury, CT
    That's about the way I look at it too. Good head first, than a good cab, than a hot bass. Heh heh... :)