What to do with my old strings?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Stanley Design, Jan 30, 2004.

1. Might be better off in Misc. but what is a cool thing I can do with my old strings? I seen some cool bracelets on here before, maybe some directions or other such cool stuff?
  2. They kick butt in a weed whacker. Different guages for different types of weeds.

3. Well you could send them to me so that I could "boil" them and reuse them..

I doubt if many "starving" bassists do this, but it's a trick that I learned a long time ago from some experienced players.

I roll the strings up, drop a set into a pot of boiling water+dishwashing liquid, boil for about 15-20 minutes. Cleans the oils and gunk out of them. Then I boil them again in some clean water to get all the soap out. Right after pulling them out, I wipe them down with a clean soft rag, then usually let them sit for a bit before installing them.

This takes a really dead string and breathes new life into it. It will sound almost as good as it did when new. I just did a set of roundwounds that sounded deader than flats, and they are bright and happy again. I've never had a string break because of this. The only problem is that reusing them over and over tends to cause the felt on the ends to become frazzled and frayed, but I usually only boil a set a couple times before chunking it.

Oh well.. for what it's worth

4. Got old strings eh ? Ever thing of crime fighting some baddies ? STRING MAN !!! DUH NAH DUN NAH..... yeeeah..
  5. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Im saving all the balls from mine and am going to make a bracelet or something.
  6. VS

Jun 6, 2002
    Mountain City, Tennessee
    Discounted Gear: Peavey
    I'd give you some examples,but it wouldn't be rated PG-13. :meh: -Luke
  7. I save mine incase I break one on the new set so I'll have backups! Also, I let Soto borrow them if he breaks a string.
  8. I don't think these are any good for anything other then making something cool like a belt. Their almost 3 years old now, I didn't realize how tome dead they were until I bought new ones. These were stock strings when I bought my first bass, they didn't even have the fabric on the ends, just metal. They have been through a lot.
  9. BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    you could always eat them :p
  10. bill h

bill h

Aug 31, 2002
    small town MN
    I give them to a friend who works on cars. He uses them to take out windshields.
  11. Boil them, stick 'em in your gigbag and re-use them in case of an emergency on stage. :p
  12. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    At the dudepit a string trade was going around for people who wanted to try different strings without dropping a lot of money. It was agreed that they'd be free, charging shipping at the most. I tried some nice flats that way. Perhaps we should start a string trade here.

13. I would be into the string trade idea, but I wouldn't want a set of strings to try that were three years old, how can you tell what the strings sound like? :meh:

14. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Don't be getting technical on me Treena, LOL. That's how I tried my first flats, I fell in love with Steels. It's great, and I may be putting something on my website, like a string trading forum or something. Gotta take into account a few things: headstock configuration, bridge type and scale length. Strings off Fenders work for almost anything, but off a Stingray only work for Stingrays and 2+2 headstocks in most cases.

Wow, I've thought this through way too much...
  15. Right on bro.. we can call them boilwounds.. :bassist:

16. Let me know if you decide to do this, or setup a forum for it, I'll be glad to participate! :hyper:

17. Approved! I've been boiling strings for ages... Saves a lot of money. But don't tell your string dealer or any manufacturers about it :p
  18. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Don't boil. Use denatured alcohol instead. It works much better, and doesn't corrode the strings.
  19. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Alright, the STRING TRADE FORUM is up! at http://www.tplyons.com/strings/

Just register, trade, and do everything of the sort! Classifieds too! Not like I want to compete with TB, but the string trade is just handy!
  20. I dig it bro - Nice forum! I think I'll have to sign up :p

edit: signed up on the new String Trade forum ;)