1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

what to get for christmas?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by jordan_frerichs, Nov 22, 2008.

1. jordan_frerichs

jordan_frerichs

Jan 20, 2008
    Nebraska
    my parents said i could have one woodworking tool/machine for christmas. trying to deside witch one i want. table saw? planer? drill press? jointer? other? what should i get?? we only have hand tools, hand drill, and a router so far. i can use the high school woodshop tools for all other parts. my teacher doesn't like students to use the table saw by themselves, or the planer, so i was leaning tward a table saw, or a planer/jointer combo machine. what would you recomend?

2. astrah

astrah Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2005
    Eagle River, AK
    Bandsaw. My table saw is really nice, but for really fine work (and I admit I am an accuracy fanatic), you need a really good table saw. I am not talking a table -TOP saw, as they are a totally different class. An accurate table saw will set you back significantly more than is probably in the budget. Look for a good used 14" bandsaw. I know guys that don't have another saw in their shop, and do amazing work with them. It will prove by far the most versatile tool you have.

3. jordan_frerichs

jordan_frerichs

Jan 20, 2008
    Nebraska
    i don't see how a bandsaw can be more accurate than a table saw. what about larger pieces? would i just have to glue tham, as an alternative? what about a rip arm, and measurements to set it to?

4. I recommend one of these babes:

[​IMG]

Choose the best you can get for the budget your parents set as a top.

By Best I mean: robust, versatile, aditional tools, warranty, etc.

At least, that's the one "I" would go for, and right after that one, I'd get the band/table saw.
    Then you will be able to buy your own basses!! OMG that coolness at it's top

5. Phil Mailloux

Phil Mailloux

Mar 25, 2005
    Brisbane, Australia
    Builder: Mailloux Basses
    I'd go for a bandsaw or planer/jointer combo mysef. Both would be ideal, you wouldn't need anything else after that. Well maybe a thickness sander but then you'd be fine. :)

6. jordan_frerichs

jordan_frerichs

Jan 20, 2008
    Nebraska
    a combo planer/jointer would be sweet. was looking for one. could not find one online. link?
    band saw could work. no good for bookmatching, though

7. l337r3nn

l337r3nn

Jun 6, 2008
    i cant really help with finding tools on the internet, but i second the idea of getting a planer/joiner. the job of a band saw can be done with other tools, but it is really difficult to plane with anything else.

8. mikeyswood

mikeyswood Banned

Jul 22, 2007
    Cincinnati OH
    Luthier of Michael Wayne Instruments
    A sanding planer instead of a chipping planer would be great. I also agree as stated above. An old Delta Unisaw, or better is the way to go for a table saw. Otherwise, any tool that you do not have is a great addition to your tool collection.

...sometimes doubles are great too ;)

9. Drum sander....hands down. When I got my first drum sander everything I made became so much better. You can do so much with properly thicknessed wood and veneers.

10. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    Take the $ and go to pawn shops or look in the paper and get a joiner and a planer. Times are hard now you can great deals on used stuff

11. eleonn

eleonn

Aug 24, 2006
    Lima - PerĂº
    +1

12. Son of Magni

Son of Magni

May 10, 2005
    NH
    Builder: ThorBass
    I don't think he meant a bandsaw is more accurate, just that a good/accurate tablesaw costs in the $1200 - $2000 range. A cheap tablesaw is only good for rough cutting. So for reasonable cost, like under $1000, a bandsaw is a really good option.

13. mikeyswood

mikeyswood Banned

Jul 22, 2007
    Cincinnati OH
    Luthier of Michael Wayne Instruments
    ^ +1

A bandsaw, a jointer, and some skill will be as good as any table saw.

14. kgrundy

kgrundy

Mar 18, 2008
    I live in Springfield, Mo and we have a Grizzly outlet here...check them out I have their, table saw, bandsaw, jointer, planer, shaper...never treated me wrong and great customer service

I think it's grizzly.com or grizzlyindustrial.com

you can also see some guitars people have made using thier stuff, like G&L, Gibson, Taylor and they doo carry some veneers as well

Wow i should be a sales rep