Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What to practice?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by grtn316, Aug 23, 2005.

1. grtn316

grtn316

Aug 23, 2005
    I have been playing the bass for about 3 months. I would say that I have picked it up pretty quick. I am now at a point where I want to start learning at an intermediate level. I am looking for some songs that will work on my speed, rhythm and use of the fretboard. Does anyone know of any songs that would be good for me to learn that would really kick my skills into the next level?

Thanks,

2. I know you were asking for songs, but I think practising scales and modes in 2 octaves will *really* help your understanding of the board, and musical theory - helping you to be able to improvise on easier basslines as well!
    Using a metronome with the above approach would also be a great idea to practise your speed.

As for songs... How about The Who, Chilis, Primus, Jaco/Weather Report (if you REALLY want speed ;))?

Also remember that faster isn't always better, but I imagine you'll know that anyway :)

peace,
    have fun
    -martaaiii