1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

what to practice

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by White Nightman, Oct 10, 2010.

1. White Nightman

White Nightman

Oct 10, 2010
    I'm a new bassist and dont know what to practice or work on.

2. pedroims

pedroims

Dec 19, 2007
    Michigan
    * learn all the fretboard
    * learn mayor and minor scales
    * Once you learn scales its easy to learn chords ( arpeggios)
    * In order to not get boring learning only scales and chords, learn few easy tunes: many songs from U2, ACDC.

I would recommend to get a good teacher as soon as you can, it is well spent money.

3. White Nightman

White Nightman

Oct 10, 2010
    the problem there is I'm a college student and dont have the money

4. pedroims

pedroims

Dec 19, 2007
    Michigan
  5. pedroims

pedroims

Dec 19, 2007
    Michigan
  6. Beersurgeon

Beersurgeon

Jul 16, 2010
    Denver
    +1
    I started with studybass.com before moving on to lessons. I still use a lot of material from this site for daily practice.

7. Mr wiggl3s

Mr wiggl3s Inactive

Feb 27, 2009
    Bismarck
    doesn't your college have programs?

8. White Nightman

White Nightman

Oct 10, 2010
    Thx for all the feed back and info, and I havent found a program on campus I can take

9. crow01

crow01

Sep 1, 2008
    chicago
    pick a record that you like and look up the tabs on bassmasta. Then play the tab along the songs.

Something easy: The Ramones, Nirvana

Don't jump into something too complicated or you will get discouraged.

Go around playing all type of music until your fingers get calluses so they don't hurt so much by pressing on them strings.

10. +1

Even as a starter, I wouldn't want to become dependant on tabs.

11. Yes play songs, but, not with tabs. IMO tabs are a dead end. Play from fake chord or lead sheets. Both of those will give you the cord name and then leave how you play those chords to you. How? Chord tones.....

All roots and change roots as the chord changes in the song. When that gets boring, root-5 when that is no longer fun play more of the chord tone, i.e. R-3-5-3 or R-3-5-b7.

If you want more details just ask.

Have fun.

12. spectorbassfan

spectorbassfan

Oct 23, 2010
    Find a guitar player or a couple of them. And just jam with them. You will be surprised to see how much you improve by playing with other musicians!

Have fun and goodluck!

13. Manic depressions is pretty good.

it has some wierd fingering that isnt too wierd and some faster parts. for building speed i play the misfits, and then when you can play those well enough try Run to the Hills by maiden. Its just fast and uses octaves.

Good luck man if u need any help PM me!

14. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 6, 2021